I must have had sucker written on my forehead...

I was at an electronics store in Dolphin Mall in Miami a couple days ago and out of curiosity I asked what their price was for the 18-200 VR Nikon. The straight faced csr said $1199.99. Seriously? Yup that's what he said. Good luck with that I told him.

Another store in the same mall said $899. Looked like a lot of the same merchandise but different name, had me wondering if same people owned both stores. Btw 2nd store csr didn't know what a circular polarizer was. I wondered too if all their stuff was grey market.

Your experience was pretty typical of small electronics retail stores in large cities here in Florida. Orlando is notorious for having over-priced items, advertising most entry-level DSLR equipment as "Professional", or having huge signs advertising "great" savings which turn out to be either bogus or gray market. Florida is the scam capital of the world.

Your experience was pretty typical of small electronics retail stores in large cities here in Florida. Orlando is notorious for having over-priced items, advertising most entry-level DSLR equipment as "Professional", or having huge signs advertising "great" savings which turn out to be either bogus or gray market. Florida is the scam capital of the world.
I would think that they would get a bad reputation pretty quickly then. Must be more than "one born every minute" to be able stay in business. :rolleyes:

Keep in mind that people on a forum such as this are either enthusiasts or Professionals. As such we tend to research and know what we are looking at or at the very least have an idea. Shops like that are targeting people who have no idea. If the average consumer walked into a store looking for their first DSLR and were told something was pro gear, they would most likely buy into it. yes its their fault for not researching it but thats how the world turns.

You live in a free market society. I don't know why you would get offended by a retailer asking more for an item than the buying public might be willing to pay. Presumably market forces will bring that retailer to it's knees or drive it out of business. They have a right to ask whatever they think is appropriate. You have a choice to pay it or not. There is no need to take it personally when the two don't align perfectly.

What would the alternative be?

I know where that store is and it is targeted to tourists mostly south americans that come to spend some days in Miami and buy stuff to take to their countries. I have been there a couple of times and always laugh at their prices. They are ridiculous.

You live in a free market society. I don't know why you would get offended by a retailer asking more for an item than the buying public might be willing to pay. Presumably market forces will bring that retailer to it's knees or drive it out of business. They have a right to ask whatever they think is appropriate. You have a choice to pay it or not. There is no need to take it personally when the two don't align perfectly.

What would the alternative be?
Oh, I am not offended at all. I am just totally surprised by their, umm, optimism at such an extremely high price. If they actually do get that price all the more power to them. But if any one actually coughs up that price then they're either rich and feeling generous or ???? I not sayin, I am just sayin...

Btw 2nd store csr didn't know what a circular polarizer was. I wondered too if all their stuff was grey market.
Doesn't surprise me. Our local (and now only) "owned by a professional photographer" camera store lost my business years ago. I went in and asked for a 52mm UV or 1A filter and a 52mm CPL.

Three employees there didn't know what they were - literally, seriously, had no clue (nor did they act like they cared much). I had to explain they were glass pieces that screw onto the end of a lens - at which point one of them knew what that was and retrieved a small cardbox box filled with filthy/dusty no-name filters (and had no polarizers of any kind).

My options were to drive an hour to the next closest place to see what they had, special order from the local place and pay a premium for it - or order from B&H. B&H and Amazon get all my business now.

A mall, unless there is a reputable dealer there selling those items, would be my last choice if I was after photography gear.
The best place in Miami to buy photogear is Pitman Photo Supply, south of Kendall and off US 1. They are professionals and they are dealers for Canon and Nikon. Prices are very acceptable although you will pay local taxes.
If you were in need of a lens like the 18-200 VR upon coming to Miami I believe your best bet would have been to order prior to your trip from B&H or Adorama.
I do not know who could buy from them at the Dolphin Mall with those prices.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Obviously somebody is buying product from each of them, otherwise they would not be in business. Ever seen how much the mall owners charge for rent!

We have tons of those ripoff shops here in Orlando; mostly in the International Drive/Kissimmee areas. They sell to foreign tourists who would pay even more in their own countries, so the prices look like a bargain. Those of us who live here go to Colonial Photo and Hobby - biggest reputable shop in town and prices that rival online sellers.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom