I need a backdrop & stand...

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by iLLMaCK, Aug 30, 2008.

1. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

with out breaking the bank too much! But I know quality isn't $3.99 with shipping so...

What do you recommend?
    It needs to be portable to take on location, if possible.

I'll go with white, black or w/e.

Thanks!

2. You might want to check out this recent thread asking the same thing.

I bought two Coleman lantern stands (they are only $18 each online through Backcounty.com) and put an aluminum pole between them. These stands are very sturdy and easy to set up with push button locking a various heights.

I bought my black background (6x10) on ebay for <$20.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. Just a word of warning. I tried a low cost approach by buying a crossbar designed to fit on regular-duty light stands. It was not very stable when used with a muslin background or even a short background paper roll, especially on carpeting. It took it back and got a real background stand (an RPS) which was about $150 including a nice carry case. The stands are much more stable. A background pole falling when someone trips or bumps the background can be very deadly to small children (or even adults).
    There are backgrounds that spring open and have a self contained support system (kind of like a pop open reflector) - you lean them against a wall. They are not very heavy so are less dangerous if they happen to tip over. I believe they are a bit more expensive though.
    Good luck

4. Make no sense to skimp out on stuff that will be potentially dangerous if you "save money" on them.

If your serious about a bg support system that you want to be mobile(meaning you are supposed to take it down and set it up without using the toolbox)

Get some real stands, and the heavy duty crossbar from Bogen/Manfrotto.

Kindest

5. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

I've held off on this for now. Thanks though, I have bookmarked all links and this one too!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.