1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

i need a concept.

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by DrewC, May 4, 2007.

1. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    this summer i'll be doing an independent study project with a professor i think very highly of. i've done well in her classes before but my most recent one i've basically given up on. this summer i want to impress her and myself, and put together a series of gallery-worthy mounted prints (larger format most likely) made by my trusty holga. (which i'm still getting used to)... i have 5 more rolls of practice film, and i will have a complete darkroom in my basement. i just need a concept... it can be something so simple or super complex, but i have to feel good about it.

this is a tough request, but anybody have any ideas... things that come to my mind right away are... well... symmetry? surreal landscapes? abstractions? i dont know, but any help would be appreciated...

thanks
    -drew

2. Way back in the 1970s when I was taking photography classes, I had a project that had this premise:

Images of people that say a lot about them, without revealing who they are.

The idea was portraits of a sort in that what was going on, or where they were said something about their life, but no faces, nothing that clearly indicated who they were.

I have no idea where it came from. These things just pop into my head. Not sure it was a good idea.

As for you, what sort of photography do you care about? Photojournalism? Fine art? What is it you want to say?

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I usually come up with totally lame concepts when I try to come up with a concept. I'm much better at grabbing one out of the æther.

4. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Stop people in the street, total strangers, and ask them your question. Shoot them makin a response.

5. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Along the lines of what Beezle suggested, how about hands. You coould have an old woman's hands sewing or whatever, a carpenter's hands hammering, a pianists hands on the keyboard, etc., etc. No faces.

All in B&W

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Here's a concept ...

Look through something like John Szarkowski's 100 Photographs, or Phaedon's The Photography Book and find something by the masters you like. Emulation of previous art, while adding your own interpretation usually is well received.

Whatever you do, good luck!

ps, my favorite photographer of the week is Elliot Erwitt.

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Ok, I got the title of the first book I recommended wrong. It's called Looking at Pictures - 100 Pictures from the Collection of The Museum of Modern Art by John Szarkowski.

9. barisaxer

barisaxer

Apr 6, 2006
    Albany OR
    People are a good concept and do something you have fellings about as it will indeed help you make better photographs. If the feeling is not inside you it will not show from the photographs.....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.