I need a new monitor. 36"+ 16:9. Any favorites?

I need a new monitor. I am looking for a large 36"+ monitor. I also need height- 16:9 or even 3:2.
I have a separate Eizo coloredge monitor that is color correct, so the new monitor needs to be decent but full color accuracy is less important.
If possible I would like to stay under $1000 or so.
I was looking at something like the Dell 43" 4k U4320Q
Any favorites or ideas??
I know nothing about monitors, or any idea of what to look for, so didn't want to do something really dumb.
Thanks
gary

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Be careful about one feature that never gets mentioned. Many monitors (including some Dell) have badly designed stands that look impressive but have a large gap between the desk and the bottom of the monitor. My neck can't cope with that, I don't want to look up to see even the centre of the monitor. Better stands allow the monitor to be lowered almost down to the surface of the desk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, I too like the ultrasharp dell monitors.
I will be mounting this to a vesa multimonitor mount, so I throw the stands that come with monitors away- but I agree especially with a monitor this large, it needs to almost rest agains the desktop.
Good things to think about.G
Thanks
Gary

You do get used to having lots of real estate. At work we use as many as 7 monitors, usually 5.
I like to see my images fairly large- something around 16x20". Then I need room for the imaging program palates.
A single 21" screen would feel really small. I think it is just what you are used to.
Gary

For me 24" is the "sweet spot" in terms of viewing what is on the screen and being able to comfortably deal with the screen real estate for editing images or for just reading emails, documents and other text online. I love my 4K LG Thunderbolt 3 monitor, which plugs in to my 15" MBP very nicely and gives me more space than the 15" screen does. Years ago I had tried a 30" ACD (Apple Cinema Display) and found that it was just too darned big for me in terms of viewing -- and, yes, I hated moving my head back-and-forth to read something on the screen. Aside from that, larger monitors are also too physically heavy for me to handle and since I live alone, sometimes it is difficult to find someone to help me at a time when I might need it.

Last edited:
Real Name
Randy
I have never understood the need for huge monitors. I have a 21-inch 4K iMac and I love it. I tried the 27-inch models and I hated having to visually pan back and forth to see everything.
I’m fine on a 27 but no larger
I do have a 24 next to it and a virtual desktop

I actually have a 34" now, but it is a 21:9 format. It is plenty large and wide, it is too short. Looking for something in a more square format. We use most monitors at work in a portrait orientation, and I have gotten use to the height.
We all like, or have gotten used to, different things. I guess that is why they make so many different size monitors.
Gary

I would love a 16:10 or even a 16:12 monitor.
The 16:10 are popular up to about 24". The only larger 16"10 monitors I found are at 30", and are in the $2k-3.5k range, which is more than I want to spend.
Interesting thought that the 43" was too big. I have a 34" now, and I just need more height. When I am just reading on the web, I only use part of the screen- as even at 34" it is too big to look at the whole thing. When I am processing a photo, however, the size never bothered me at all. The larger image lets me sit back a little and is easier on my eyes. Sounds like mid-30" somewhere may be my sweetspot.
Gary

Real Name
Walter Rowe
What is more important? Display size or color gamut / accuracy? BENQ makes great displays that are color accurate and 10-bit color depth for larger color profiles. You can get 10-bit displays like EIZO, but you will spend $1000 on a smaller one vs larger one. Do you need it to be multi-purpose? Television, movie screen, gaming console, and computer display?

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom