1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

I need a taller monopod, help needed

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Sauk, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    Ok right now I have a Manfrotto 679B monopod.

I need a monopod that is taller then what I have, any advice on this? Can't stand having to bend down (crouch) to look through my view finder.

2. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    bump a roony

3. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I don't know

but agree all the monopods I have seen are too short, at least for bird photography and such!:smile:

4. How high do you need to go? Looking at the manfrotto site, the 679 is 161cm (call it 63 1/2 inch). I have a manfrotto 134B (don't think they make them any more) that is 163cm and with a D700 attached the viewfinder is exactly at eye height for me (6 foot 2 inch's). There is 334B on the manfrotto site that is 166cm. Good luck

5. Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2008
  6. Gitzo 3551 is 75.6. Pricey, but man-o-man nice....

7. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    awesome thank you very much :) 

Yeah I am 6'2 and a few inches would be perfect for me.

thanks for taking the time to get those links posted :) 

8. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
  9. mikhailr

mikhailr Guest

Take a look at Gitzo 1564L (79.5")
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/171012-REG/Gitzo_G1564L_G1564L_Studex_XL_Monopod.html

I am not that tall as you are and have Manfrotto 680B which fit me very well, but have purchased 1564L for shooting over people's heads in overcrowded environment. Very convenient.

Two drawbacks thowgh (in my opinion):
    - doesn't have that very convenient Gitzo's "Anti-Rotation Leg (ALR) System", I have Gitzo 3530LSV tripod with this system and like it very much;
    - rather pricy.

Mikhail.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2008
  10. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    awesome! glad to know there are many choices for me. :)  thanks again

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.