I Need A Website Developed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jfenton, Dec 21, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    haven't got a lot of cash, but I need to have a more professional website developed cause pbase is just to cluttered to really showcase images, sell from, etc.

Does anyone have a clue as to how much it would cost...whom I should go through...etc?

Any thoughtful (or at least humorous) input would be GREATLY appreciated :)

Jim

2. Jim,
    Have you checked smugmug?

I've been impressed with the service. It is also very easy to set up professional looking sites for sales. They are also eager to attract professional clients looking for sales.

mitch

3. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hiya Mitchell

I thought about SMUGMUG....I'm just sort of convinced that I really need a place of my own though.

perhaps I need to look further there reltaive to naming of the site, customization, etc.

Thanks for your thoughts :)

4. Jim,
    I struggled with finding someone to build my site, but wanted more control and the ability to make modifications quickly. Therefore, I decided to build my own web site. After trying various things, I ended up with pieces from here and there. Yahoo hosts my site ( starts at about $10 / month ), and their free Sitebuilder software is easy to use and has a variety of templates. For my galleries, I modified the gallery feature within Photoshop, and learned enough HTML to tie things together. It was therefore free, but I spent so much time crunched up in my broked down easy chair working with my laptop that I had to have rotator cuff surgery a couple months after my site was finished. So hopefully, someone has a better suggestion.

P.S. I also use a free download HTML editor from Eversoft.

Good Luck and Merry Christmas,

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jim,

I second the smugmug recommendation. They already have tools for handling orders for you images, and are supposedly easy to customize. I've been meaning to look into doing this for my smugmug account, and will probably look at it while I'm off next week. If you would like, I can keep you in the loop as to how easy it is, what it took knowledge-wise, and what the features are.

Let me know.

6. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Frank

I'd love to be looooped with you :)

7. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    Here's what works for me

Jim,

I built a basic website but added a module that I bought from http://www.lightboxphoto.com/ It is an add-on specifically designed for photographers to sell their photos. I was so impressed with the customer service that I moved my website to their hosting company. (gecko.com)

Adrian at Lightbox installed the module for me and provides extremely good support. The module cost me about $300. Annual support is $80. My monthly web space costs $30 for 500 megs of storage. (That wasn't one of their standard sizes but they worked out the pricing based on my needs). I regularly sell photos to out of state customers through the module. It works quite well.

You get credit card service through several gateways - paypal, 2checkout.com and one more that I don't even use. Cost is minimal - eg: 2checkout charges 45 cents per order plus 5% - no monthly fees on the credit cards.

So - let me know if you have any questions. You can see how it works at my site www.phase2photo.com

Tom

8. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    Just purchase a template from a company like this. They have a section on art and photography. Then get some web space from here for as low as $35.88 a year. I use them and the uptime and speed are both great. With both of these things in hand you can easily find a friend or foe with some basic internet building skills to add the final touches to your site.

Good Luck

here is an example of what I did using the same stuff.

9. Jim,

How much are you willing to learn? You can put up pretty decent galleries using tools built into CS2. There are also countless other tools for such things.

So far as putting a website together goes, if you have decent tools for that, it is really not too bad.

Here is an example of what you can spit out of CS2 in a few minutes:

http://www.nvxd.com/mission-11-05/

So far as hosting goes, I pay around $9 per month, I think (I pay well in advance) and the limits are really large enough that I have never used even 5% of what I am allowed. And I will use the site to copy rather large files around.

This is no dig on pbase or smugmug. I have never used them and so far as I can tell, they are great. Being a programmer, I just like simple, and my own.

10. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Hey Jim

This is the person that did my website. Didn't cost a lot of money either.

If you mention my name she might give you a discount. Of course, there's always the possibility that if you mention my name, she'll charge you double!

http://www.justspiffy.com/

Good luck!

11. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Try contracting out to someone to design a website for you. It will be much more professional looking than smug. The quality of your work and the recognition you are starting to get deserves a professional looking site.

Regards

RFC

12. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Jim :

Also have a look at PhotoShare for your hosting. The templates are customisable, the prices are good, and I've not had anyone complain about the dreaded red "x" with my use on the various fora.

John P.

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Agree with RFC

Going to have to do it sooner or later Jim......

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Robert,
    I really like your site.
    Nice job.

15. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Robert

Absolutely stunning website and outstanding photos. Congratulations!

16. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

You might consider doing your own site. Here is a link to a site that I designed for a company here, using only Yahoo!'s own site builder. Then Yahoo! hosted the site and their rates are very competitive. They also have techs that will work with you over the phone. You can click on photos you see, and some change as the cursor moves over them.

http:\\www.selmorproducts.com

17. RForshey

RForshey Guest

I used Microsoft Front Page and designed my own. The first 3-4 hours were very painful, but it got very easy after that.