1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

I need help with a Teleconverter and or lens choice

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by p0intNsh00t, Oct 1, 2008.

1. p0intNsh00t

p0intNsh00t

Feb 24, 2008
    southern Ky
    I have a Nikon D80 I was wondering if someone could answer the following questions for me.

Can I use a teleconverter with a 18-70mm DX and 70-300mm VR lense. If I can will I still have autofocus, zoom and such.

If it cannot be used with them could I use it with a 18-200mm VR lens

I ask this because I have the 18-70 and 70-300mm lens now I would like to have a longer zoom distance on both without having to buy an additonal lens. I was thinking a teleconverter might be a option.

Last but not least, if the teleconverter will not work with the 3 lenses mentioned is there any "single" lense that I could buy that would work with a teleconverter that would give me both a extended zoom and the same quality of photos that I get now from the 2 seperate lenses.

Sorry to ask so many questions but It seems that everytime I want to capture a photo I miss it because I have the wrong lenghth lense attached
    Thanks

2. All of those lenses are so slow (f/5.6) that a TC will make them marginal at best for AF. A 2x TC will make them ludicrously slow for exposure purposes (f/11 maximum) and the IQ degradation must also be considered. AF is essentially impossible at f/11 except maybe at high noon on a sunny day. MF won't be a picnic either.

No, there really isn't a way to get a wide angle and a very long telephoto in the same lens, TC or not. The 18-200 is about as close as you can get; there are now 18-270 lenses (Tamron).

Note that even if you had a TC on the 18-200, it would then become a 36-400, and 36 isn't exactly what you wanted at the short end either.

If you insist on trying, the Kenkos are the only ones that will even fit.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2008
  3. arela

arela

Jan 15, 2008
    Norway
    I use a Kenko 1.4 converter with my 70-300 VR from time to time.
    In good light the AF works good enough up to aprox 200mm, then it begins to hunt back and forth. So in reality you change the 70-300 to 100-400 (and lost some on the quality side).
    For distant objects and the focus set to M, the lense works well at 420mm.

4. moffo

moffo

Oct 20, 2005
    Central TX
    What you want isn't really technically feasible -- once you put any teleconverter on a 300 mm lens with the D80 crop factor you're into tripod territory at best.

TC's will likely hit the back element on the 18-70, so you risk damaging both the lens and the TC if you try.

5. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    No, although the 70-300 will take one, it's already quite soft at 300mm and a TC attached will make it even softer.

Nope.

Unfortunately a TC is not a good option on the lenses you have currently. I can't really see another option but to buy another lens if you want more length.

Single megazoom lenses will be lower in quality compared to zooms with smaller range, so no. The 18-200 is definately lower quality than the 18-70 + 70-300 VR combo you have, which is very good value.

Learn to change lenses quicker, if this is your main problem then a megazoom might be what you need (or, you need to work on technique/anticipation?)

6. I agree with 99% of your post, Weiran, but I've got to challenge the "quite soft" comment before it becomes "common knowledge". The 70-300VR is a much different animal than the earlier generations of 70-300 offerings (70-300G and 70-300ED). Using proper telephoto technique, it can deliver critically sharp renderings at 300mm... even wide open!

d200 1/800s f/5.6 at 300.0mm

Don't take my word for it, though. There's a big thread loaded with images from our forum mates that attests to the excellent image quality of the 70-300 VR... even at 300mm.

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=180440

Terrific advice!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  7. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    I'm sure we've had this discussion before :biggrin:. I'll reiterate that I found my 70-300VR to be soft at 300mm, its certainly sharper at 200mm and below. That mattered to me as I was using it at 300mm a lot, but someone else may not notice it or even care!

However you're right and it's a whole level above the previous D and G 70-300 lenses Nikon released (I had the G and it was even worse at 300!) and is the best zoom lens of its type, just not as sharp as my eventual Sigma 70-200 + 1.4x TC combo.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.