I need help

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Terri French, May 26, 2005.

1. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I just returned from a trip to Moab, Utah. I took several flower pictures on my trip and have no idea what variety they are. If anyone from the southwest can help me out here, I would be most grateful.

There are a few more but I will post them later. Don't want this to get too big (if it isn't already).

These were all taken with the D70 and either the kit lens or the 50mm 1.8 with an Olympus MCON 35 attached.

These grow in big clumps.

I appreciate any help you can give me in identifying these flowers. Also I like constructive criticism on my photography as well. :)

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Terri,

I can't help with the ID's, but I can certainly criticize. 8)

The only nit that I have is on the third pic. I would crop out the out of focus buds. They distract my eye from the beautiful bunches at the top of the frame. Otherwise, excellent pics. ;-)

3. Terri,
    I love the last one. I am unable to help with the ID tho.

4. My wife is a wildflower enthusiast.

#1 and #2 is globe mallow

#3 is a type of polemonium. There are several in this family

#4 is a bottle brush or prince's plume; my wife remembers seeing this on the White Rim Trail near Moab in 1994

#5 is a poisonous locoweed or milkvetch

#6 is an evening primrose (Hooker's or Sundrop)

She is not absolutely sure on all of these as she does not have access to the library in Los Alamos where we were in 1993-1995.

5. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Thanks Frank, You are right about the out of focus flowers. I'll take your suggestion right away.

I appreciate your help. I've gone through about 500 pictures this week. I think my eyes are blurry.

6. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Thanks Dave--guess we both just found out that it is evening primrose.

Glad you liked it.

7. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Thank you to both you and your wife for helping me identify these. The globe mallow plants were just amazing. There were fields full of them in the desert area between Price and Moab, Utah. I kept thinking that I would go to the visitor's center to ask what they were but never had time. Now I know!!! :D

I'll put the correct names on the pictures in my gallery.

Maybe later this weekend, I'll post a few more for her to identify, if she doesn't mind.

Thank you so much.

8. Glad to oblige (my wife loves to do this).

9. Terri, they're all very nice but I especially like the 1st one. I think it's the pretty orange blossoms against the beige/tan background. It just seems to coordinate so well. This coming from someone who's not particularly fond of the 70s earth tones. :)

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey, I know exactly how you feel. Digital is great for speeding up the learning process, because you get such immediate feedback, but the penalty is that you often have more shots than you can look at, much less process. 8)

Now that I've helped you, I expect you to return the favor on my next flower post. I'm just now beginning to learn to shoot flora, and I need all the help that I can get. :wink: