I need Reflector suggestions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rbsmith, Sep 22, 2005.

1. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    I'm ready to buy a reflector. How about some suggestions. I know nothing about them.

Thanks in advance.

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    LiteDisc by Photoflex. They fold up into a disk one third the size of the unfolded one, and come in a variety of surfaces, including white, silver, gold, and translucent.

3. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    I use Photoflex 5-in-1

4. In the UK we use Lastolites thar sound the same as your Photoflex.

Brilliant. Bob F.

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. I use a Photoflex shiny white/silver 32" and a translucent white 52".

I find the big one makes a great quickie high key background, and is good for knocking down direct sunlight. Can give that sort of glow you see in a tent, though, which I don't care for.

So far as reflecting goes, I find the shiny white makes light more to my taste than the silver does. Depends on the exposure. Seems with longer exposures I don't mind the silver.

I've also tried white foam, poster board, car window shades (silver), etc. The dedicated ones are much nicer.

7. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Thanks. I will check those out. I am interested in finding out more about the different colors to.

Chris, what size and color do you suggest on the LiteDisc.

Todd did you get the stand and boom with yours and what size do you have.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2005
  8. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Is B&H the best place to look?

9. avalanche161

avalanche161

May 17, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Rex -- Calumet has a kit available that gives you the option of using four or five different reflective surfaces---- I think the 32" kit cost about $50.

10. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hi Rex, I use a 12 inch white/translucent Lite Disc. It folds small enough I can stuff it in my camera bag and take it along everywhere. I use it primarily for macros and headshots. By using a fat broccoli-bunch rubber band, I can afix it to my on-camera flash to make a convienent flash softener as well.

When I get a round tuit, I'd like to get a large reflector. One side dark and one light. That way I could stick it behind someone to eliminate an unsightly background.

11. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hello Paul, ... uh, .. old chap!

See my reply to Rex for how I use my 12 inch white/translucent disc. However I am very intregued by the gold reflectors. I love the colors from just before sunset - you know, the golden hour, except that it lasts only 15 minutes here in the desert. A large gold reflector might be able to prolong or simulate this kind of light. It would be fun to try anyway.

ps, just add a u to colours above :wink:

12. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

13. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I use one similar to what Chris101 uses except mine is white/soft gold. The soft gold does not produce the fake'n bake skin tone that a solid gold does but it does warm it up. This is kept in my camera bag as it is small. My other reflector is a much larger photoflex 5-in-1. White and diffuser are used the most. I use silver only when I want a contrasty light, which doesn't happen often.

14. I have an opaque white/silver reflector and use it extensively with portraits, esp the white side. I'd love to get the 5-in-1. All depends the subject, and the light as to which colour you use.

15. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Thanks. Lots of good information. I may go ahead with the 5-in-1 and also get a smaller one for my bag.