I need some feedback please!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DJVCuda, Jul 20, 2008.

1. DJVCuda

DJVCuda

Jun 13, 2008
    Atco, NJ
    I will be conducting my first cover shot for a mag I write / shoot for. Its been a goal of mine since I have been published to get on the cover - well my big chance is coming up ( wish me luck! ) - Along with that I have the idea, story, and all the photo duties that go along with it.

I had a shoot similar to the one coming up - I'd like some feedback on placement and your overall opinion on some of the shots from the past so I can get ready for the next one.

The car placement might be similar, the location will be different, but the overall placement to the starting line will be similar.... So far its the best angles I can come up with to "fill" the area I need filled...

With that - thanks in advance for your advice.

#1 - this is my favorite so far, the only thing I see is the tree needs to be centered more. in realation to the cars, but the lower shot works for me.
    I need a vertical shot for a cover - blurbs at the top and bottom, as well as the logo.
    DSC_0679.jpg

#2 - this is close - but the angle dont work for me as well.
    DSC_0678.jpg

2. DJVCuda

DJVCuda

Jun 13, 2008
    Atco, NJ
    this would have worked as well, but it was not vertical.
    DSC_0677.jpg

3. tintingkc

tintingkc Guest

I think it would look better facing the other end of the track. Gets the whole 1380 in there and looses the clutter from the stagging area. May add a little punch to have the tree lit up too.

4. I agree that I would turn the cars around and use the same setup around the tree but shoot with the whole track in the background. I would also crop the cars closer to the bottom of the page and leave the track in the top of the image where most of the text will be placed. I would also suggest adjustin the colors some and really make them pop, the colors seem a little dull in these. A good concept and it could really work with the right setup. I like the lower perspective of the first one better and I think it would work really well with strip in the background.

5. DJVCuda

DJVCuda

Jun 13, 2008
    Atco, NJ
    Great idea with the entire track in the background - I'll have to set that up as well, however there is a concrete retaining wall at the location I will be at behind the tree, but it still might be do-able!

THanks for the suggestions - any more?

6. To get a good idea it would help us to see the shots cropped to cover proportions and maybe with some of the text overlayed.

I like the photos but as it stands it seems both are too horzontal to not leave lots of blank space.

Don

7. DJVCuda

DJVCuda

Jun 13, 2008
    Atco, NJ
    I dont have any layout on hand ( thats the art departments!)

here is a sample - but its your standard automotive publication cover.
    [​IMG]

8. Seeing the cover I'll vote for #2 working best but ideally you should get with the art department and see which one works
    best with the text they have planned for the issue.

Don

9. DJVCuda

DJVCuda

Jun 13, 2008
    Atco, NJ
    Mostly looking a a mid to high elevation shot I suppose...
    I'll bring the bigger ladder for this one!