I need some spider shots - brown recluse

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by LindaZ, Aug 26, 2008.

1. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    For months, I've seen some very large spiders in and around our basement.

Normally, spiders doesn't worry me. But... when they're as big as the palm of my hand, I get a little worried.

I went to get my camera, but when I came back. The spider was gone.

I did some Google on brown recluse but none are that great of an image.

So if you have a good shotsof a couple of brown recluse spiders, please post them here. I don't want to feel worried while packing boxes for our move.

This last one had brown and darker brown stripes over it's legs. And some scary looking "fangs". Definitely had some dark markings on it's body but i couldn't make out exactly what it was.

2. big as your palm? look also at wolf spider images too....

3. NateS

NateS

Oct 11, 2007
    Missouri
    Hopefully this works. The bug guide I now use has some fairly good pictures of these guys.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/33493

According to their Range map, brown recluses are not found in Pennsylvania. I would also check out wolf spiders if they are bigger.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/1967

By the way.....click on the Images tab toward the top of each link for a plethora of images.

4. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    whew. thank goodness. It WAS a wolf spider. I swear it looks scarier than that recluse.

Thank you!

5. yeah wolf spiders can be scary when they suprise you because of their size :)

usually a good smack with a shoe solves all my problems - and if one smack doesn't do it

put the shoe on dance!

6. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Why do they look so different in my house than they do in my yard?

Here's the yard looking ones

and these are the scary basement ones
    *edit - that one is actually a fishing spider!

I have fishing spiders in my basement? i got no fishes down there. lol

Upon further reading on that website, it seems like people misidentify the fishing spider with the wolf spider all the time.
    Well, I sure have no clue.

7. NateS

NateS

Oct 11, 2007
    Missouri
    No problem.

I believe many wolf spiders are also poisoness/venomous (can't remember which), but mildly.... basically like a bee sting only the mark lasts a little longer. Actually this is the case with most spiders I've found but nothing to be worried about. I was told once that a mark I had was probably a wolf spider bite. It lasted for about 6 weeks, but never hurt or itched or anything so I've never been too worried about them....I'm not a big fan of any spider though (unless I'm taking their portrait :biggrin: )

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that it's not a Brown Recluse.

8. NateS

NateS

Oct 11, 2007
    Missouri
    I was about to say that the second was a fishing spider (i.e. nursery web spider) but you beat me to it. It also says the nursery web spiders are common in the eastern US.

9. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Should I be careful?

10. NateS

NateS

Oct 11, 2007
    Missouri
    I wouldn't worry about it too much, but I wouldn't go around picking them up with my bare hands either. I would treat it like you would a bee if you saw one....you're not going to pick it up with your bare hands, but your also not going to freak out and run rampant through the house either (I would hope a bee wouldn't do that to you).

So....yes, be careful, but don't be scared or worried. I would have told you to watch out for Brown Recluses as you usually don't see those until it's too late, but the bug guide showed those not being in PA so you should be fine.

11. A flamethrower would be a good accessory to carry around when dealing with dark spider-y places

(can you tell I don't like them much - hehe)

12. tomtodeath

tomtodeath

Jan 11, 2007
    new jersey
  13. Rest easy knowing that a Brown Recluse does not get that big. Maybe the size of a quarter, but not even close to the size of your palm. Even wolf spiders don't get that big. Wolf spiders are ground hunters. They don't make webs to trap their prey, they just walk around on the ground or sit there until something walks in front of it.

Here are some pics I took of a wolf spider in my yard. All shot with a Panasonic Lumix FZ20 with Nikon 5T and 6T closeup filters attached. They were shot at night, while lying on the ground while a friend shined a flashlight on the spider so I could see it and focus on it. Taking these, I learned they are also cannibals. Had a smaller wolf spider walk in front of one as I was shooting it, and it pounced on the smaller spider and bit it.

This one has the smaller spider in it's fangs.
    original.jpg

original.jpg

This one has a water roach in it's fangs.

original.jpg

Here's a real closeup...

original.jpg

14. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    lol...na I'm not too skittish but I'll certainly try not to put my hand in some unknown place.

rofl! A flamethrower might be a bit much.

thx!

15. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Medic, I think those were a little too close close-ups! eeek :eek:

I am pretty sure that the one I saw was a Fishing spider, also called Nursery spider? Weird names.

16. Those just gave me the shivers.....ACK! I don't mind a spider here and there, but I'd probably run from one that looked like that! I did rescue a crab spider that managed to get into my kitchen, I put him safely in the field behind the house rather than squishing him.

17. Dr A

Dr A

Feb 2, 2008
    State College, PA
    Linda don't you have a husband who is a biologist? Just ask him. And don't let him give you that crap about being a marine biologist or whatever. Any biologist worth his salt should know all organisms found within his own shelter.

-Allen

18. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    He's clueless Allen, however I did found out by the links i was sent that it's a Fishing spider or a sort of Wolf spider, it looked just like the Fishing spider.

19. I should have known better than to open a spider thread.
    Extreme shortage of Dragonfly threads lately. I'll be curious to see what goes on in this forum my first winter on the cafe:biggrin: