I need tips for 4th of July fireworks

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by inkman, Jun 17, 2007.

1. inkman

inkman

May 23, 2007
    Healdsburg, CA
    I am sure this has been asked before but I need help with basic settings for shooting nightime fireworks displays.

2. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. inkman

inkman

May 23, 2007
    Healdsburg, CA
    Thanks for the thread.

I knew someone would come through!

4. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Here are a few I've shot. I made it more simple than using a hat or black cardboard and shooting in Bulb mode.

These are f16 and 2 or 3 seconds. I just focused to infinity. Set up the camera in manual using the earlier mentioned settings. Kept the camera on a tripod and used a remote trigger for the shutter. Seemed to work fine for me.

Next time, I think I'll zoom out a bit and crop more in post processing.

original.

View attachment 101210

View attachment 101211

View attachment 101212

View attachment 101213

5. Nice shots Terri. I got similar results last year with a remote shutter release and 2-3sec exposures.

6. alaskahutch

alaskahutch

Jun 22, 2006
    Soldotna
    Same set up here at f8

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. GlenF

GlenF Guest

Nice fireworks Terri French and alaskahutch!

8. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

nice images and and great info...just like every year about this time.

Patrick, shouldn't this be made a sticky?

9. Mike, if we did that what would we have to post every June?? :rolleyes: :biggrin:

10. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

I just meant the link to the New York School of Photography's tips on shooting photographs. Seems everyone uses a variation of that and it might seem counter-intuitive to new shooters in that you should shoot low ISO, bulb shutter for 2-4 secs and a mid aperture. I think a lot of newbies might try high ISO and a fast shutter.

11. Good point Mike.