I need to add the wide end

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by KsJET, Apr 23, 2007.

1. KsJET

KsJET

Feb 24, 2007
    MN
    As you can see, my focal range starts at 28mm. I sold my 18-135 to fund the 70-300 VR, but with an upcoming trip to Lake Tahoe I think I will be needing something wider than 28mm (maybe?). I figure if I do go wide I should get the Sigma 10-20 or Tokina 12-24. But I'm just not sure how often I will be using that focal range to justify the cost. I bought my D80 in the winter and most of my shots were indoors, so low light capabilities were more important. I never once used the wide end of the kit lens, so I really have no idea how wide I will need to go for landscape shots. I guess I'm wondering if I really need something as wide as 10/12mm or if a lens starting at 17/18mm would be good enough. Opinions?

2. KsJET

KsJET

Feb 24, 2007
    MN
    Oops, just found a similar thread with some examples of how much the wider lenses add. Sorry for the repeat question! I'd still appreciate input if anyone has something to say that wasn't mentioned before. :smile:

3. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    I think 18mm is wide enough for most scenes, especially if you are not really into wide-angle shooting as you suggest. The 18-70DX is probably the best all-round budget lens. The 18-55 is even quite good if you just want something small, light and cheap. Or you could replace your Tamron 28-75 with the Tamron 17-50 which will give you the same speed for indoor shots but with the wider angle for landscapes.

4. KsJET

KsJET

Feb 24, 2007
    MN
    Thanks. I really love the range of the 28-75 for portraits of my children, so I'm not really looking to replace it. I just picked up the Tamron 17-35 f/2.8-4 on the for sale forum. I'm not concerned about the variable aperture as I only plan to use it outdoors and will probably be stopping down anyway. Do you think this will be as sharp as the Nikon 18-70 DX?

5. I've never regretted my 10-20mm purchase. That thing comes in handy so often and (as I've stated in other threads) it is actually fun to use. I can't really say that about other lenses.

6. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    The Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 is a great lens for it's price; sharper, faster and the same size and weigh as the 18-70DX. Make sure to get a Japan made one.

7. cajunrose

cajunrose Guest

:Clown:

Hey Kellie! I shoulda known you hang out here..lol