I need to make a composite (example photo attached) and have no clue...

:redface: I need to make a composite like this one -

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I have CS5 and LR5, but not a single clue in the world. I will be shooting the individual photos, and they have the logo in jpg, tiff, psd, etc.

Any link to a book, video would be great. If I need to buy a template, I could do that too. HELP!

Chad, I am no expert, but I have done a few with just four or six photos of my grandchildren. I use CS5.

First you need to decide how large the overall composite needs to be, and how many images you will put on it. Then if you want to have, say, eight images across and eight images down, you must resize the individual photos to 1/8 the pixel dimensions of the composite. Then create a new blank file of the correct overall (composite) pixel dimensions, and drag each individual photo onto this large one; each will show up as a new layer. After you are satisfied with the layout, you can flatten the image and save as a single jpeg.

That is a simplified explanation of my approach. More experienced PS users will probably have a more advanced approach.

Feel free to ask followup questions, but you might want to experiment a bit for yourself first.

In LR use the Custom Package in the Print module to design your own layout http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-lightroom-3/print-custom-photo-layouts/

As Pa said above calculate what you need and in PS if you think that you will be doing the same thing again you could create your own template using the Rulers as guidelines to create your layout then save as a template for future use? Just drop your images into layers and resize to fit within the ruled areas using snap to

Chad: Since you said 'no clue' then I'm going to mention some of the most basic issues.

The light blue lines in Tony's example are called "guides" or guide lines. Click in the ruler (top or left) and drag (down or right). Since they extend all the way to the ruler you can see the measurement easily. Grabbing a guide and moving it can be frustrating in that you only have a pixel or two when the cursor changes from a normal diagonal arrow to two parallel lines with opposite arrows (click to grab the line).

When you lay out a row of rectangles in separate layers and have them spaced just where you want, highlight those layers and combine them. Then Ctrl-J will duplicate that layer for however many rows. Move one to the bottom. Highlight all of the row-layers, and with the move tool active, choose "Distribute vertical <top edges etc.>", then "Align left edges". If each box is an individual layer you will get massive headaches at this point, but if each row is one layer then you will be close enough to do final nudging to fit the guide lines.

The math at the beginning is the big headache. Even though I like inches, millimeters are easier to subdivide. Paper is in mm or in, not in pixels.

Do the six rows of 10 pictures. Then overlay the center 4 picturex3 row box for the instructors.

wish you the best. This is why people sell templates -- and why photographers will buy so as not to have to spend the time calculating and framing them.

OH! If you know how many pixels each picture will take up, make an action to reduce the size of the picture (bicubic sharper) to that size, do a final sharpening (I find 50/.2/0 works well), save in a sub-folder, then when you pull them in to the main template you will only need to move them into place.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Guys! I am starting to figure it out - no suggestion is too basic as I really am new to LR5.

2 more noob questions -

How do I resize an image larger than my printer is capable of printing (LR5 is restricting me to the sizes that my printer prints).

And how do you get the typed words/logo on the print? They can provide the logo in almost any format BTW.

If you are resizing it for a different printer, don't do it in the "print" workflow. In CS5 (not too familiar with LR), up under "image" there is a menu choice for "image size". That choice will take the current image(s) and will make them the bigger size. If all you want to do at that particular step is to set up a place to put more pictures next to the others, then go down to "canvas size" and it will leave the current image alone.

For resizing an image in LR it is probably best to first Export the image the the size required using the File /Export menu to specify your print size dpi etc. then add the exported image back into your LR catalogue

To add a logo to your file you could just add the logo as an Identity Plate in LR then in the Print module add the ID plate and position size as required. Go to Edit/ Identity plate setup check use graphical identity plate and drag your logo image into the box. Then in the print module click on identity plate and use Print to file button to save your image as JPEG setting your particular preferences first.

Chad, you may find this a little easier to achieve in Photoshop so FWIW have filled out a few details missing from my earlier post - hope it is of some help.

There are some things that you need to consider in order for your layout to work well.

• Final print size - you may find it easier to work to slightly non standard sizes and trim the print a little.
  • Printable area - many printers cannot actually print completely borderless therefore this final size is going to be important if you need to copy the look of your sample
  • Consideration for the number of rows and columns that form the image area and the size of borders between and around images
  • So taking your image as an example there are 10 cells (image area) width and 6 cells deep with a border which I have used 1/8" as an example. Total of 60 image cells with the centre image occupying an area of 4x3 cells

• Each image cell I have guessed as being 3"x2"

Therefore:

• Image width 10 cells x 2" = 20" + 11 1/8" borders = 13/8" = Total width 21 3/8". You should round this up to 21.5" (trim the 1/8" off the paper after printing)
  • Image height 6 cells x 3" = 18" + 7 1/8" borders = 7/8" + Total height 18 7/8" -round this up to 19"
  • So now you have a notional print size of 21.5" x 19" less some to final trim. This may not be the final size you are intending but once complete you should be able to resize quite easily.
  • In PS start with a new image sized to 21.5 x 19" and draw the guidelines as shown by left clicking and dragging into position first your border 1/8" then the actual cell. To make it easier you can move the '0' points of the ruler to the start of a new cell by clicking in the grey box next the ruler and dragging to snap to you new cell starting point.
  • Now you can resize your images to fit the image cells and paste in as layers
A little time consuming but with patience it should result in an accurate result.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom