I need your help California!

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by PWPhoto, Apr 25, 2007.

1. PWPhoto

Jul 21, 2006
    San Diego
    I live in San Diego and I want to take a 4 day trip. I have been to most of the areas in san diego and near here.

Where can you recommend to travel to?

any help deciding will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a ton!
  2. macroach

Jul 19, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Peter -- have you tried contacting Randy Forshey? He travels all throughout N. California and more.
  3. fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi peter-

tijuana's not too far from SD, and neither is greater LA.

what are you looking to shoot, subject-wise?

4. Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    I think just about anyplace in California is beautiful. San Francisco is very cool, and about as different from San Diego as you can get and still be in California. Oh, my girlfriend is anxious to visit the redwood forests, which extend from just north of SF bay, up into Oregon. Or, if you want different, Death Valley is interesting as well. Or how about LA? I try to visit the La Brea tarpits every time I am in that city. Or, if you don't want to go so far, how about the Anza-Borrego desert? It's a unique habitat. Or there is Idlewild and Julian in the mountains just NE of you. Or Mt Palomar, but you've probably been there.
  5. GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
  6. Huntington Beach, Bolsa Chica, Santa Monica, LA, Getty Museum, Huntington Gardens, Yosemite, Bosque del Apache, Yellowstone, ...........
  7. matthew.paul

matthew.paul Guest

Have you ever been to the central Coast? Near San Luis Obispo, Pismo Beach, etc? Its beautiful here this time of year, and lots of outdoors stuff you can do. San Francisco is always fun, or if you have the time to make it up to the northern part of California (Humboldt/Eureka area) , that is always beautiful (I'm a little biased because that is where I am from).
  8. digipix

Mar 30, 2006
    Here are my suggestions.

Death Valley National Park
    Anza Borrego State Park

Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Park
    Yosemite National Park
    Eastern Sierra (Hwy 395)

Central Coast:
    Santa Barbara
    San Luis Obispo
    Big Sur

San Francisco Bay Area

The north coast of CA may be a bit far for a four day trip, unless you fly.

9. I second, third, and fourth this... easily reachable, and completely different than the coast around SD... some of the most beautiful scenery in the nation!
  10. PWPhoto

Jul 21, 2006
    San Diego
    wow guys you are all so much help! now I just have to go through and find the right place.

I just ended up having days off and i want to take full advantage of it.

Now to google! thanks again for all of your time!

11. PWPhoto

Jul 21, 2006
    San Diego
    kinda crazy request but is there anywhere to shoot bald eagles that is near?

or near ish :)

Thanks again
  12. JohnMueller

JohnMueller Guest

Personally I would go north. Jump on I-5 and head to Yosemite. Spend a night near there, then tour the park one day. Next day, head through Yosemite to Mono Lake, Bodie, etc. Spend some time up there. Travel slowly down 395 and visit all the little towns and enjoy the eastern Sierras, then spend a day in Death Valley and the surrounding areas, and then head back home to the beach. I don't know how much more diverse your photos will be than that!
  13. One of my favorite places is the stretch of Highway 58 between Carrizo Plain and San Luis Obispo. Camping is free in the Carrizo Plain National Monument, but I wouldn't recommend it without a truck or SUV. Drive up Hwy 1 to Big Sur and camp there. Lots of cool scenic pullouts on the road to take shots of the coast.

San Francisco is neat but I prefer looking at cities from a distance. Mt. Tamalpais is the high point of Marin County and offers a great view of SF.

If you like backpacking I'd go to Yosemite or Sequoia/Kings Canyon. I'd save Joshua Tree, Anza and other places down south for when you don't have as much time off.

Skip LA. This place is overrated. If you must stop here, visit Samy's Camera off Fairfax, then keep going.

Heck, drive east to Arizona. The Organ Pipe is awesome.

14. I've heard of bald eagles showing up around the Big Bear area, but I think that's usually more in the winter. My dad also just told me about a lake where he fishes, Lake Hemet, says he's seen them the last 3-4 times he's been fishing there. Reports of bald eagles at Lake Silverwood in the Cajon Pass as well. A bit of a drive from SD, but if you're into it, maybe worth some contact in those areas to find out more... I think Silverwood and Big Bear areas you can contact through CA Forestry Division.
  15. charliec

Jan 17, 2006
    los angeles
    my pick would be driving up the state through all the deserts (anza borrego, joshua tree, mojave, death valley) then go over to sequoia and kings canyon parks, then up to yosemite, then west to san fransisco and drive back down the coast towards san diego.

of course that is a lot to visit in 4 days and you may have better photo opportunity if you spend more time in one place getting to know it, instead of travelinig all over the place.

im going to visit joshua tree in a couple weeks myself.
  16. midi

midi Guest

Hi Peter

I went to San Francisco a couple of years ago for 10 days. During that time we were taken up to Lake Tahoe for 3 days. I would dearly like to go back there as it's a beautiful place. Saw some eagles there too.
    The landscape up there is stunning with plenty of scope for photography.
    I think it was about 2½ - 3 hour drive from SF although we weren't in a hurry.

17. I would agree with the Central Coast. The family vacations there every summer. Solvang is great to start. The Mission in SLO but you gotta be there the Thursday Night Farmers market foodfest. Great people pics there. The on to Morro Bay and the Morro Rock. Then take Highway 1 to Monterey. I am not sure if there is a more beautiful drive in the world. There are plenty of pic to be taken along the drive.

Big Bear is a nice place to visit during the Spring time. Spent this Christmas there and the snow was awesome.

In the San Gabriel Valley Area, there is the Huntington Library and Musuem. THey have beautiful gardens. The Arboretium is also near by. Plenty to do in California.
  18. Lake Tahoe is a beautiful place. And your right, the drive from the SF bay area is about 2.5 hours. I was in Tahoe a few weeks ago for my bachelor party, i brought my camera, but it wasn't really the time to go take photos, lol.
  19. irish-george

irish-george Guest

Some of my favorite places...

Mendocino - looks like a mis-placed New England fishing village
    Bodega Bay - sleepy little fishing bay
    Big Sur - natural beauty
    Solvang - Danish community
    Napa / Sonoma - vineyards (Greystoke Cellars is quite picturesque)
    Calistoga / Geyserville - hot springs, geysers

Probably too short notice to get into Yosemite. Moaning Caverns in Sonora.
  20. BrendanMC

BrendanMC Guest

In case it's important for the topic creator...

From Berkeley to Placerville is around 2h, and then another 1.5h to South Lake Tahoe on HWY 50.

On HWY 80 to the north side of Tahoe, it's probably around 3h total, though I don't have as much experience with going up 80 to the north side.

Naturally, driving from SF itself will take longer, and driving from further east will take somewhat less time.

As far as Bay Area attractions go, SF is nice if you want a city. Mt Tam is a beautiful area, and there is a very nice redwood forest at the base. Point Reyes National Seashore is also nearby and definitely beautiful. I recently watched the sun rise from the top of Mt Diablo, which was an incredible experience... Being up above all the clouds and fog and watching it roll away as the sun rises...