I never knew Nikon and Microsoft were in cahoots

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Phillip Ino, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Who wouldn't WANT to be in cahoots with 95% of the computers on the planet?

What is interesting is the "cross-licensing" aspect. I can guess what MS is sharing ... HD JPEG (or whatever it's called), maybe some kind of mini-Windows to make the wifi or the GPS tagging work, etc.

But what could Nikon have that would be of interest to MS?

Inquiring minds want to know!!

Cheers!!

Ken

2. The most likley thing is image algorithms of different kinds, for instance Microsoft has a bunch of compression oriented technologies like Video compression and audio compression for the media player in Windows. Nikon surely has some patented technologies for images that could be of interest for Microsoft.

This is a typical and quite common agreement of sharing of technologies, purpose is not only sharing but crosslicensing and agreement not to sue each other ...

MS has several groups within development that does nothing but negotiate these kinds of agreements. My take is that this is not really a big deal but a lower level development oriented agreement.

3. This is why Nikon dumped firewire (dumb move) and Canon still has it on their pro bodies. I hate USB 2.0 with a passion and wish death on it! :biggrin:

4. D3X will be 64 bit Vista capable - 100 GB hard drive in-camera; snazzy windows on the back panel; built in DSL connection for patch downloads; no room for images in buffer because memory is fully occupied by the O/S; blue screen of death; need I go on?:biggrin:

5. tintingkc

tintingkc Guest

That would fit if ms had their way.:biggrin:

6. If it were Apple, they'd make it so pretty, with a non-removable battery and memory storage. They then would remove the LCD because it clutters the design of the camera. Apple would then niche their cameras with an underperforming entry level body and an overpriced professional camera body with nothing in between! :biggrin:

7. tintingkc

tintingkc Guest

And all your storage would be in mp3 format.

8. jvlata

jvlata

Jan 9, 2006
    Miami
    I just hope that Nikon will not take the future D3s, D4s, etc in the direction they took with the Coolpix P6000 that the raw format only work with Windows Vista...

9. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

Nope, the entire back would be one touch screen. Press the screen to take a photo, focus being on where you press. Zooming the old manual way? Not any more, just pinch your fingers together and zoom in (or out).

10. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    ooo, wouldn't that be sweet, maybe we could then use our SLR as a phone too

11. deanr

deanr Guest

Horrors...

I would hate the day when my Nikon's LCD turns blue and says that I have to press command-menu-shutter to reboot my camera... right when the opportunity for the best shot of the day appears!

DeanR
    Apple Systems Engineer

12. I hope my Nikons don't get a virus! Maybe they should include Mcaffee in the agreement too. Just to be on the safe side. :smile: