1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

I ordered the Nikon 12-24 f4.

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by scout1, Mar 22, 2011.

1. scout1

scout1

Mar 14, 2010
    Arizona
    Well I finally made up my mind and ordered this lens.
    As some of you may recall for the past couple of weeks I had been agonizing over added this lens to my gear or not. I've stated that my main two lenses are the Nikon 17-55 f2.8 and the Nikon 70-200 f2.8. Because of a up coming trip into Canyon de Chelly I felt that maybe I should add this lens to mate up with my 17-55. (Read that as NAS)
    I just figured that if I only had my 17-55, I would be in a position were I wished I also had the 12-24. So I thought better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.
    Let me point out that I do not carry alot of gear. I always try to get by with a very small amount of gear. I sill foresee the the 17-55 doing the bulk of the work.

Thanks to all who helped me out, Jim

2. Tzed250

Tzed250

Feb 7, 2010
    WV
    I just got mine a couple of weeks ago. I haven't used it a great deal, but I like what I see so far! I know I'm missing 2mm on the wide end compared to the 10-24mm, but I really like the constant aperture, and the build quality is nice.

3. Ronald M

Ronald M

Nov 10, 2008
    Chicago
    I have had mine for around 4 years now and consider it the best way to go wide with Dx format.

The D3 and D700 have been my cameras of choice for a few years now, but I did buy a D700 and used the 12/24 along with 35 1.8 and 60 28N on a recent outing. Very pleased with results.

4. I think you made a good choice, given your other kit and preferences. Enjoy it!

5. sprdv1

sprdv1

Oct 22, 2010
    Missouri
    Congrats on your purchase, I'm sure you will enjoy!

6. Your 17-55 is a very nice professional optic, I am sure you know that already but the short side, although it could satisfy the demands of many photographers, will be kind of short for others.
    The 12-24 f4 AFS is a very nice lens but requires care while you use it. Distortions, typical of these super wides, are there and even a small amount of tilting in your camera will bring them in a snap. Some photographers love those distortions, I do not and try to keep the camera level with my subject, especially when I am at or near 12mm focal length.
    If you have not used one of these lenses in the past, you are going to enjoy the big vista. When the lens is used close to your subject, like it should be, the perspective is most interesting and moving around your subject enhances it even more. Used this way the lens is very effective, not so when you try to encompass large expanses of the landscape.
    Just keep in mind that with this lens your backgrounds will recede making objects there smaller than they are. You will particularly notice that when you enlarge.
    It takes some time to understand what the lens does but once you do, be ready for some spectacular images.

William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

7. scout1

scout1

Mar 14, 2010
    Arizona
    Thank you for your in depth reply. I have not used a lens of this short focal length before and you raise some very good points. I will try to keep them in mind. It seems that you could call this focal length a thinking mans lens.

Thanks again, Jim

8. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    I use this lens a lot. For artistic shots and for many of my cleints indoor stuff. Really, the flair resistance of this lens is amazing. I'm a DX kind of guy and I would never give this lens up. My first image with mine D7000 was with this lens a 5.6 and from corner to corner the sharpness was very sharp (even in a large print). I think you made a great choice.

9. I love mine! I am curious why you didn't go for the newer, 10-24? I know its variable aperture, but I would guess being so much newer, it has to be sharper.

10. scout1

scout1

Mar 14, 2010
    Arizona
    I had just heard so many good things about this lens that I decided to go with it. It is also my understanding that the build quality on the 12-24 is very, very good. Some reviewers say the build quality is a notch above the 10-24. I guess it boils down to the 12-24 being able to do everything that I need it to.

Thanks, Jim

11. Very good advice from William, wide angles work very well when you are very close and intimate with your foreground and the subjects in the distance are very large or not too far off. These lenses create a very nice feeling of depth, giving the impression you are there when used properly. Many people when they first get a ultra wide try and get as much in as they can and are disappointed with the results in some cases. Ultra wide is my most used focal length, I love those wide lenses :biggrin:

12. britinjapan

britinjapan

Mar 5, 2011
    Tokyo
    I opted for the Tokina 16-28FX, but must say that your choice is a great one, especially for flexibility - I wanted an avaliable light F2.8, but the Nikon is a very fine lens

13. scout1

scout1

Mar 14, 2010
    Arizona
    I've heard the Tokina is a very fine lens and I came very close to getting one in place of the Nikon. Thank you for your input and take care over there.

Jim

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.