I pulled the trigger

Real Name
William Beem
B&H opened up again at 8:30 EDT, and I was there to place my order. Even sprung for the overnight delivery, which I suppose means Tuesday since nothing goes out on Sunday. I feel good.

Soon, those folks in the big brown truck will bring my 70-200mm VR and the Beast.

Now I have a machine gun too. Ho. Ho. Ho.

N

Nuteshack

o man ...u don't mess around ...first class glass my friend, CONGRATS..;-))
..gee, all u need now is that "cream machine" ...
:smile:

Real Name
William Beem
There's still some money in the bank, but I'm trying to pace myself. Besides, I need to save some cash for a vacation, or else I'll only be shooting pictures in my back yard.

u got the class glass man, congrats! you won't be sorry especially if you pop for the 1.4... that musta been SOME refund check!!

Real Name
William Beem
Don't remind me about the money. I'm cherishing my moment of stupidity and that could force me out of it.

Real Name
William Beem
Thanks. I'm already thinking about where to take my first shots with both pieces when they get here.

If for some reason the lenses you have purchased do not work for you, you can always sell them here, ebay or on craigslist.
Nikon lenses always have very good resell value.

Real Name
William Beem
That was one reason I didn't worry about the purchase too much. I'm hoping that I enjoy the new glass very much. If not, then the resell would provide enough that I'd only feel as if I were out a rental fee for a while.

Of greater concern is how I'm going to fit this stuff in my bag.

Congrats on your purchase!! You'll love them both. The 85 is wonderful as well, but you've got two lenses on the way that are excellent for portraits. I have all three and the bills from those purchases...but I love them all - with the 70-200 being my absolute favorite. Enjoy.

Real Name
William Beem
Thanks, Keith. John was telling me last night that he uses the 28-70 for his portraits, and I love the results.

Of course, it takes more then expensive glass to make a good photo. I still have quite a bit to learn.

Real Name
William Beem
Actually, it didn't hurt at all. I was planning to buy one or the other of these lenses with some other funds I've worked up. Then I figured out my taxes and got a much larger refund than expected. Who knew paying too much mortgage interest could come in handy?

So it's found money to me. Barely anything out of pocket to me. That means I can plan a nice vacation or something with the money I've otherwise stocked.

This doesn't happen often in my life, so I decided to seize the day. (that's a translation for "blow the wad.")

Real Name
William Beem
Update:

UPS just delivered my new glass moments ago. I'm actually in the middle of a deadline project right now, so I can't go out and take any pics. However, I couldn't resist the urge to put both pieces on my D200 just to get some first impressions. Besides, I love unboxing new toys.

I started with the 70-200mm VR. That's kind of a big honker, isn't it? Without anything interesting around to shoot, I just aimed at my front door. To be honest, my first impression was disappointment. The AF totally messed up and the door was really blurry. Then I realized that it was focusing on some blossoms on a bush over on the other side of the street through the window in the door. Very sharp, very fast. When I moved it to the door frame, it focused fast and sharp. Ok, maybe I'll keep this one after all.

Next, I put on the beast and went through the same motions. I'm impressed by the build quality of these lenses compared to the plastic stuff I've always had before. Thank God I have a decent tripod now.

My Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home is now inadequate to carry my new acquisitions, and I don't have any 77mm filters. Obviously, this means I'm not yet done spending money. The agony.

Latest threads

Top Bottom