I R

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by GoGo, Apr 13, 2007.

1. GoGo

GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
    Anybody out there using Kodak HIE high speed infra red film?

Has anyone expirimented with different filters (I know kodak recomends yada yada) like a medium yellow, medium orange and medium red? I bet the use of these filters especially the yellow will increase the ISO?

Has anyone shot this film at an ISO of 200 or 250?

Not looking for a short cut just interested in seeing some photos, lets look!

2. GoGo

GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
  3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    That's a good resource Giorgio.

These are some snippits from my experience with HIE. To figure out the filtration, it helps to know how IR film reacts to different light. It is sensitive to blue, red and infrared light. Not so much green.

Using an yellow or orange filter does not affect the speed, but rather the rendition of various objects. Foliage will be dark and the sky and water look light gray with a yellow filter - HIE will look similar to normal b&w film with a yellow filter. A red filter will bring out the IR look - grass and leaves will be white, and the sky dark. An orange filter will be between those two. You can also use an IR filter with the film for even more IR effect. Filtered with an 89B filter the sky is pitch black, and all plant material white.

As for film speed, I rate it between 200 and 800. Tungsten light is very rich in IR, so use a higher ISO. Sunlight is also rich. A yellow filter works well with ISO 400, and a red filter pushes that up to 500. But experiment with the film speed - translated, that means: bracket.

I tend to develop in HC110 dilution b for most everything. I give HIE a nominal 7 1/2 minutes at 68°F at iso 400. But I also have used dilution A for 6 minutes for lower contrast. Or D76 1+1 for 13 1/2 minutes, 68°F. The last combination gives the largest grain, but also the most 'structurally balanced' grain. I have also developed HIE in coffee with washing soda for 25-40 minutes. This combination gives a true 800 iso, and fine grain, but with brown staining. Add half the weight of the soda of ascorbic acid to eliminate the staining, and speed up development as well.

Shooting HIE is a treat for me. As you must never expose even the unopened cassette to light, you need to load and unload the camera in total darkness. This usually means shooting only one roll on location. That makes me extra responsible toward each exposure, so I get an unusually percentage of keepers from a roll of HIE. Today though I took my changing bag, and shot two rolls. I'm going to develop it right now.

4. GoGo

GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2007