i really HATE this lens

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Nuteshack, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

and seldom use it, but when i do ..o MY! it does deliver!

d200 and the old push/pull 80-200 2.8, wide open!

95mm
    2837019744_d8a9bb2716_o.
    170mm
    2835349456_1e4fc987ee_o.
    200mm
    2835349638_115152f83a_o.
    100mm, sharp, smooth and CREAMY bokeh (8x10 crop)
    2834512877_5fe252d168_o.
    :Love:

2. EssieK

EssieK Guest

Once again you've proven that it isn't the lens that make amazing photos - it's the person handling whatever gear is available and making the most of it.

You can give me a $30.000 lens, and I'd still shoot 99.98% crap. Give you an empty toiletpaper-holder, 2 pieces of glass and stick it to a P&S using gum and rubberband you'd still provide us with good pictures.

Excuse me while I go into the other room and have a quiet reality-check all by myself

:smile:

3. avyoung

avyoung

Dec 17, 2007
    Canada
    Hi Mark,

I have to agree. Lugged mine everywhere and seldom used it (at the time I didn't take many people pictures). Boy did I love it when I did use it. The Sigma 50-150/2.8 replacement of that lens, pales in comparison, but offers a nice light and useable package that is "good enough".

Problem is that is it not good enough to stop the NAS (for the 70-200vr, etc) :) 
    I can keep dreaming!

Nice shots as always!

4. sambru

sambru In Memoriam 1957-2014

Yup! I have to agree they are heavy and cumbersome but do they ever work great, I have a 70-200vr and it's the same, however I use mine alot. Great photos as always.

5. And you should

It is a terrible lens with bad bokeh... and it is as dull as a butter knife ...

Yea riiiiight - I think it has better bokeh than the 70-200/VR ... and just as sharp :biggrin:

6. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

thanks for the kind words...it's really a lens i should use more often ...;-)))

7. My nephew plays soccer up in Oregon. I think he plays on the teams in Canby. I know he does Nike soccer camp in Beaverton though! :smile:

8. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    you could make any gear sing
    nie work

9. nice shots, mark
    that lens is magic, in your hands

10. I know how you feel, Mark. I have an old push-pull 80-200 that I bought new in Tokyo in the early '90s and it is absolutely fantastic........ but I find it so much more convenient to carry an 85 and 180 combo in most instances

11. Great snaps! Dandy lens.
    I used the lens for a few years, buying it when they first came out. I loved the photos but what I disliked about it was placing the camera on a monopod or tripod. With the lens not having a tripod mount, there was a lot of weight hanging on the cameras lens mount. I updated to the 2 ring but did not stay with it long, moved on the the S version.

12. Nice images. I had a two ring version, and I too, loved the sharp photos it delivered. Even wide open, as your photos show, it is very sharp. I "upgraded" to the 70-200 VR and, IMO, even though it is a VERY nice lens, I could have spent my money A LOT better. Sometimes I think of getting another 80-200. And, images such as this, make me wish I never sold it.

13. I haven't used mine nearly enough, but I do love it! I read about 8 million reviews and talked to probably 50 people who have owned the 80-200 in any form and the 70-200VR. Most were of the opinion that the 80-200's were better IQ wise (or at least the same, no one said worse) than the 70-200. Saving almost $1300 was a welcome benefit for me to get the 80-200. (I don't need VR) I'm not used to the weight yet, so I need to get out and practice and find a shooting technique that works for my wimpy little upper body strength, LOL! Once I get the hang of it I think I'll love it even more.

Your shots are great Nute, and I hope I figure this thing out before my babies start their first sport!

14. Hey, Mark,

I always enjoy your images. You have a great eye and lots of wonderful subjects. And the ol' 80-200 really produces for you! Love that first shot. Even nature cooperated for you... nice slightly overcast warm day, little shadow, great color. I've been trying to arrange that kind of cooperation for years, but apparently I don't have your pull:smile:!

15. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

thanks again for the kind words, everyone ...;-)))

truth Doug ...the shooting conditions were "perfect". and really, this is as much or more about the light we're given as it is about the glass we're working. easy to understand why the studio can be addicting ....;-)))

Sonya, shooting technique seems to be more critical from 150mm on ..stick with it ...;-)

Rich, as much as i hate this lens i find it difficult to part with. almost impossible for me to part with PERFECT glass .....;-)))

16. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Nute:

Nice work. I love mine. Don't use it as often as I should, but the images Always have the "look"....

17. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

thanks Jeff..think u just stated the motto for this lens ->

"Don't use it as often as I should, but the images Always have the "look"
    ...maybe the first line of a cheesy country and western song?

ROTFL
    :wink:

18. Maestro Nute,
    Not sure what would possess you to post such hateful shots! LOL
    Lovely natural looking shots, as usual, Bro. Nobody does this kind of lovingly rendered environmental portraiture better. Kudos...........

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2008
  19. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

lol Jack ...thanks pal, you're too kind.

;-)))

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.