I really, really.. really do need

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jarrell, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    a closeup lens of some kind. I was 'trying' to get a decent shot of the leaf floating in water when the bee lit for a drink. This is about 1/4th of the frame because it's taken with the Nikon 50mm lens with no other help. Noise reduction was done on parts that needed it.
    D100.
    Let's see now. That's a D200, a couple of vr lenses, a closeup lens.... hmmm... what else...
    Jarrell

2. Whatever you buy Jarrell, you can't buy talent... that's because you already have it!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

What a great image, and with an obsolete camera and a lowly 50, huh? :smile:

3. I really like this shot - it almost looks like from another planet and such nice colour ! I think that's a big old hornet there that stopped for a drink. Unusual maybe?? I sure have never seen one drinking water.
    Bees, wasps and hornets are one of my favorite things to shoot. I have had both the Nikon 60mm macro and the 105 mm macro. The 60 is supposed to be sharper I think, but I liked the 105 the best because it seemed like I could get close enough with it but didn't have to get TOO close -- closeness sometimes a consideration when shooting these stinging fellows !!

4. I love it too - you must have been down on your hands and knees or else the water was in a birdbath maybe??

5. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    AMEN.....

6. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Philippe, why is it we always seem to have the wrong lens on the camera at the right time.... or the right lens... whatever...

Anne, I'm thinking about getting the Canon 500D for shots like this. Of course, it'll never be handy when the picture happens! I think the longer macros are best for most anything, gives us more shootin' room.. :)

Diane, I'm getting too old for gettin' down on the knees! Well, I can get down there ok, it's the gettin' up that's the hard part.. :)
    Yes, it was on a birdbath.
    Jarrell

Jarrell

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Jarrell,
    I have a 500D I am not using if you would like me to send it to you and see if you even like it or not :>)) I am going to sell it anyway. Soo have at it Pal.

This image, well clarity is fantastic and color plus. spot on.
    I really love the wasp.
    Not to fond of the leaf.
    I guess I am not grasping the composition to well.

8. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Gale, don't feel like the Lone Ranger, I had a hard time with the composition too. I knew the little fella would only be there a second or two so it was shoot first and ask questions later. I thought about cloning the leaf out but gave up on that idea.
    Watch your email on the 500D.
    Jarrell

9. Jarrell - Great Shot! I like the colors, the wasp and leaf are sharp and the reflections are very nice! Very very nice.

I did not notice but, whatever lens you were using was just perfect!

Sometimes when you have lots of lenses to choose from one always wants to switch to a different lens. I think sometimes when you make do - you get a better shot. You just proved this theory!

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    :>))@Jarrell,
    Tough to get caught between two shots.

Thanks... Will reply

11. Jarrell, I think if you burned the leaf in somewhat it might make a difference - the leaf adds scale to my way of thinking and wouldn't take much to make it work. :)

BTW, what is a 500D?? Canon???

12. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Mark, I know what you mean! If the shot calls for wide angle, my camera is fitted with the longest zoom I have. If I come across a distant bird, I have a 15-30mm wide angle in place.
    It never fails... :smile:
    I had the little 50mm on the camera, just walking around the yard with it when I noticed the leaf in the birdbath and so I thought I'd see what I could come up with. I took a couple of shots and then the wasp lit on the side and started to drink. There was no way to get closer with the 50mm, no zoom so I took what I could get before it flew.
    Sometimes it works out ok.

Jarrell

13. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Diane, I think you're right. I'll give burning the leaf a try.
    You know how a person kinda skips ahead when reading? I did that reading your message and saw 'burn the leaf' out of the corner of my eye and instantly wondered how I was going to light the leaf, in the water, and not scare away the wasp.
    I really shouldn't read ahead of myself... :biggrin:
    Oh! The 500D? Look here..
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-500D-Close-up-Lens-Review.aspx

Jarrell

14. I absolutely second that!! This is such a phantastic shot, Jarell. I can't take my eyes off it.
    I wonder if it had looked the same with the smaller working distance of a dedicated macro lens (unless you used the 200/f4).

Admittedly, I envy you for this pic.
    Cheers

15. I read that the 60 micro was a good one to use.

Hope this helps,

16. Excellent!!! again! You never cease to enthrall me with your photos. Get the 500D - you'll love what it can achieve.

17. Sandy,

I have the 500D that I bought last year and I find that the AF goes really slow when using it. Is this normal?

18. Never noticed any slowdown... hmmmm. You sure it's just not lack of contrast on the subject? I was shooting with a very fast lens to start with but didn't notice any difference. Anyone else? Ask PJohnP, he uses it quite a bit too.

19. Sandi,

I was using it on the 70-200 VR lens. Would this make a difference?

20. Melissa

When I shoot macro, I always take the lens off AF - when you're that close to your subject, AF will sometimes have a tough time focusing. Just something you might want to try.