I Really Wish Nikon Never Ditched NX2!

Tony,
Well it has turned out differently than I thought when I bought it..
But it is standalone in that I don't need a internet service checking me every time I start it as the computer that has it loaded is never on the internet, never.
And I own it forever, but will I get new camera / lens data without renewing ($$$) every new addition..that is the question.
Gary

Gary thanks for the comments. In reading from the link the impression gained was that the application would only be updated if you paid the yearly fee of either $60 or $150 dollars and in the event of a new camera only the $150 package would include On1 raw upgrades.

And I wondered why the "ON1 Photo RAW - You own it forever, rent free" is crossed out in the On1 Plus package

So it seemed to me that this would work out more than the Adobe package per month/year?

I am going to send a email this morning on that very question. I really only wanted On1 to import for the new cameras and lenses that my CS6 does not cover.
Gary

They sent the following in an email to users a few days ago

Rest assured, we are not abandoning our loyal customers who choose not to upgrade at this time. We will be providing one more free update to Photo RAW 2017 which will address customer issues and add support for additional cameras. Also, free technical support is always available regardless of which version you use.

Think they are noticing a few grumbles. I turned my post here into an article on a fan site and raised a few issues with their PR Manager.

ON1 Plus is a extra package you can buy into. Basically a subscription package either with free upgrades or not as well as ebooks, presets, webinars and videos as well as access to some closed forum and the like. The software continues to work if you pull out as the subscription is not for licensing the software

You can of course just buy the software and use it without signing up for ON1 Plus

That's what I did just bought the stand alone software not the Plus.
I cant tell you what I was thinking one year ago, but I did not think I have to re-buy every year just to keep up with the new camera / lens info.
That I do know.
Gary

If you liked Nikon Capture NX2 I recommend that you try the new DXO PhotoLab. The interface is similar but it has many more tools - everything that Lightroom has and more except the catalog, which is actually a plus for me.

It also has the Nik U-Point tools!

I actually chose DxO as my NX2 Replacement quite a while back but struggled with it and was neither fully satisfied with the way it worked nor with results I got from it. This was DxO 10. I upgraded to DxO 11 when it came out but still felt the same.

I had not touched my DxO for a very long time and it was sitting there unused ready to be discarded but even ignoring the new U-Point thing, my liking for NX2 was not mainly about U-Point to start with (I liked U-Point but liking was driven by much more), I very much like the output I am getting from DxO PhotoLab in general, contrary to my earlier experiences with DxO.

I suspect though, that it may not have been the program that changed as such, but that I have changed instead in the interim.

Definitely an option for displaced NX2 users, U-Point or no.

Latest threads

Top Bottom