I received my 70-200mmVR from Nikon Service Today!

Hi All, My D200 kept getting a flashing dead battery icon only when attached to my 70-200mm VR even with a fresh battery. It started last summer but only a few times but progressively got worse to a point where it wouldn't even focus the lens. This would not happen when the 70-200mm VR was attached to my D70, so I call Nikon tech support and they said to only send the D200 since I wasn’t having this problem with the D70, I sent both in anyway and thank goodness I did…this is what they had to repaired to the VR:

Service repair rank B2
RPR Over Haul
RPR Helicoid
Mod Focus SHFT W/ZOOMING
ADJ Auto Focus Operation
ADJ VR Unit
ADJ SWM
ADJ Exposure
ADJ Aperture Operation
General Check & Clean

I called Nikon to ask them what the above means and they pretty much fixed everything inside the lens and WOW what a difference! I use to get a lot of focus shift and I thought this was normal, but now I point and boom, dead on focus, no shifting at all. And to think I almost did not send this lens in.

I didn’t receive my D200 yet and that is also receiving B2 which is major parts and not under warranty :( …I’ll keep you posted.

Anthony

oHHHH dEAR...
nEED TO send my equip in to.
But will wait to see what it cost you for the D200

Thank You Anthony.

OMG I dread this

oHHHH dEAR...
nEED TO send my equip in to.
But will wait to see what it cost you for the D200

Thank You Anthony.

OMG I dread this

Hi Gail, The D200 repair is going to cost me $235 :( Only four months past the warranty. If your warranty is about to expire I suggest you send it to Nikon for a check up. On the list of repairers it shows a focus problem with my D200 that I didn't know I had! Also, if you send your camera overnight UPS or FedEx Nikon will return your camera back overnight.

Anthony

Anthony,
My warrenty expired Dec 24:<(((
I was going to send it, but thought.. It is working pretty good.
But I am having some metering probs.

I think I will call a tech and see if this darn thing has a setting I can't figure out, set wrong.
Underexposing on all settings...I am tired of fighting with it. WB does not work like it did new either. I have 20,000 shots on it.
You know I always use the 80-400 VR.. So thought maybe some probs there.
However it is doing it with the 300 F4 as well.
I can manage to guess and use the histo. But thats just not right
The sensor is also filthy.
I am afraid to clean it myself

Anthony,
My warrenty expired Dec 24:<(((
I was going to send it, but thought.. It is working pretty good.
But I am having some metering probs.

I think I will call a tech and see if this darn thing has a setting I can't figure out, set wrong.
Underexposing on all settings...I am tired of fighting with it. WB does not work like it did new either. I have 20,000 shots on it.
You know I always use the 80-400 VR.. So thought maybe some probs there.
However it is doing it with the 300 F4 as well.
I can manage to guess and use the histo. But thats just not right
The sensor is also filthy.
I am afraid to clean it myself

Gail, No sense in fighting with the D200! Nikon will give you a quote before any work is done and they clean everything nice and new. BTW I just got off the phone with Nikon service and they're waiting for a part :( ...more back-up camera D70 shooting.

Anthony

Anthony Glad that lens is working good now. when I bought my D200 they tried to push the extended waranty on and I passed. wile waiting for delivery I was thinking abought the waranty. So once the camera arived I called to price the waranty. It was on special $119 extra 2 yrs. I jumped on that one.:Guns:

Anthony Glad that lens is working good now. when I bought my D200 they tried to push the extended waranty on and I passed. wile waiting for delivery I was thinking abought the waranty. So once the camera arived I called to price the waranty. It was on special $119 extra 2 yrs. I jumped on that one.:Guns:

Hi Troy, I purchased my D200 with my American Express card and they double the warranty so it's not going to cost me anything. I think other credit cards have the same policy.

Anthony

Hi Troy, I purchased my D200 with my American Express card and they double the warranty so it's not going to cost me anything. I think other credit cards have the same policy.

Anthony

Anthony that is good news. I will have to check with my credit card (visa) to see if they do the same. I wounder if I would get six years with extended warnty. :biggrin:

Anthony

Smart move Anthony, I never buy anything electronic without using my AMX. Know the cards are $$ to use, but hey I got back $250 in buyer protection on my first digital camera, plus some other times they paid off. BNeen putting off sending in some gear, maybe it is time.

Anthony,
I had the exact same problem with my D200 and 70-200 that started and became intolerable when we were out shooting the Grand Canyon recently. After sending both in (thank the lord under warrantee) I got them back after each underwent a number of tweaks....B1 category for each. I don't have the paperwork with me now, but the list seemed pretty extensive. I have been pleasantly surprised to find that I now really enjoy using the 70-200 - I had not been very happy with its performance. What a difference! Same with the D200....lots of tweaking and replacements- didn't realize the grips were loose until they were replaced!
I was very pleased with Nikon Melville's handling of the problem. I had both back 8 days after I sent them in.
Glad to hear it worked out ok for you too.

T

topher04r1

oh man ... this is the EXACT problem i had last time i was shooting lacrosse with my d200 and 300 f4 .... i would get the blinking battery light and it wouldn't focus till i restarted the camera.... happened 3 times out of the blue.... I even posted a thread about it .......

are you saying now i should send them in and have them tweeked ???

Smart move Anthony, I never buy anything electronic without using my AMX. Know the cards are $$ to use, but hey I got back $250 in buyer protection on my first digital camera, plus some other times they paid off. BNeen putting off sending in some gear, maybe it is time.

Just like you Tom anything electronic AMX!

Anthony

Anthony,
I had the exact same problem with my D200 and 70-200 that started and became intolerable when we were out shooting the Grand Canyon recently. After sending both in (thank the lord under warrantee) I got them back after each underwent a number of tweaks....B1 category for each. I don't have the paperwork with me now, but the list seemed pretty extensive. I have been pleasantly surprised to find that I now really enjoy using the 70-200 - I had not been very happy with its performance. What a difference! Same with the D200....lots of tweaking and replacements- didn't realize the grips were loose until they were replaced!
I was very pleased with Nikon Melville's handling of the problem. I had both back 8 days after I sent them in.
Glad to hear it worked out ok for you too.

Hi Sue! I've done some research on this and it happening to a lot of D200!

Anthony

oh man ... this is the EXACT problem i had last time i was shooting lacrosse with my d200 and 300 f4 .... i would get the blinking battery light and it wouldn't focus till i restarted the camera.... happened 3 times out of the blue.... I even posted a thread about it .......

Hi topher, My D200 did this occasionally last summer and like you I turn the camera off and on and it went away, but in past few weeks it got so bad that the D200 wouldn't focus the 70-200mm VR at all! I would send both camera and lens to Nikon... its only going to get worse :(

Anthony

T

topher04r1

awee crap ..... thx anthony... ill send them in for a look over ....

So let me get this right... when i buy camera gear with my amex they double the warrenty ???

how do i make a claim if something breaks ???

who's pocket does it come out of ? amex ?

thx for your help guys,

YES! I found my D200 was ok w/ shorter lenses,,,it was the combo that highlighted the problem. BOTH items were tweaked when I sent them in.

Ohhhh nooooo

After reading these posts....I realize I must send my D200 and 70-200 back to Nikon. I thought I was loosing my touch due to lack of camera time. I shot for 10 hours yesterday and used 70-200 exclusively. I was experiencing difficulties with metering, focusing and the darn grip rubber moving. My shots from yesterday...well..with that combo I used to get excited, but the shots overall were not what one would expect. I would get a great shot once in a while but not what I should be getting for money spent on the gear I was using. I have warranty for both but wasn't sure how I go about sending them in. Please offer me step by step, so I can get this taken care of..THANKS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do I call first?

How long will I be without a camera?

This is my Prime time to shoot, but I can't handle being without my camera for more than a week....

After reading these posts....I realize I must send my D200 and 70-200 back to Nikon. I thought I was loosing my touch due to lack of camera time. I shot for 10 hours yesterday and used 70-200 exclusively. I was experiencing difficulties with metering, focusing and the darn grip rubber moving. My shots from yesterday...well..with that combo I used to get excited, but the shots overall were not what one would expect. I would get a great shot once in a while but not what I should be getting for money spent on the gear I was using. I have warranty for both but wasn't sure how I go about sending them in. Please offer me step by step, so I can get this taken care of..THANKS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do I call first?

How long will I be without a camera?

This is my Prime time to shoot, but I can't handle being without my camera for more than a week....

Hi Trish, Call Nikon at 800-645-6689 They'll give you information on how to send it, in your case it's Melville, NY. I live in NJ about 1 hour from Melville so I sent my camera and lens UPS ground which is next day, if you send it overnight Nikon will do the same back to you. PLEASE insure it for the full value. Depending on the problem I would think 2 weeks for repair. In my case the 70-200mm VR took 1 week to get back and my D200 is waiting for a part looks like 3 weeks for it :( I've been shooting with my back up camera D70...nothing like my D200 but it's better than nothing.

Anthony

Latest threads

Top Bottom