I regress a little

I've been contemplating the use of my cameras and have decided there's a bit to much overlap.

I have a friend who has nothing but his iPhone to capture his memories of the time he spends with his young son so he now has a nice Canon EOS-M to use.

The X20 is going on the market - it's really a beautiful camera to shoot with and can produce some pretty decent shots but it's ISO performance above base deteriorates rapidly and the small sensor just isn't doing it for me. I find I'm having to convince myself I like it.

The little Sony has a home in my laptop bag and is still King of the hill of small compact cameras so I think I'll keep it.

I think I'm going to get rid of the E-PL5 as well - great little camera but I'm thinking a GX7 will fit how I like to shoot better.

And finally, I used to have the Canon G1X which I have regretted getting rid of. I like it for a couple of reasons, it's lens retracts, isn't interchangeable, and is of very good quality. And it's high ISO performance is at least on par, if not better than the EM5 (my subjective opinion, not based on lab tests). It's f/2.8 at 28mm, and f/3.5 at 35mm which isn't bad considering the sensor is a little bigger than the u4/3 sensor (1.8 multiplier). It focuses about like the EOS-M which I can live with, makes a great one camera travel companion. So I've got another one :redface:

Just rambling...

I've been contemplating the use of my cameras and have decided there's a bit to much overlap.

I have a friend who has nothing but his iPhone to capture his memories of the time he spends with his young son so he now has a nice Canon EOS-M to use.

The X20 is going on the market - it's really a beautiful camera to shoot with and can produce some pretty decent shots but it's ISO performance above base deteriorates rapidly and the small sensor just isn't doing it for me. I find I'm having to convince myself I like it.

The little Sony has a home in my laptop bag and is still King of the hill of small compact cameras so I think I'll keep it.

I think I'm going to get rid of the E-PL5 as well - great little camera but I'm thinking a GX7 will fit how I like to shoot better.

And finally, I used to have the Canon G1X which I have regretted getting rid of. I like it for a couple of reasons, it's lens retracts, isn't interchangeable, and is of very good quality. And it's high ISO performance is at least on par, if not better than the EM5 (my subjective opinion, not based on lab tests). It's f/2.8 at 28mm, and f/3.5 at 35mm which isn't bad considering the sensor is a little bigger than the u4/3 sensor (1.8 multiplier). It focuses about like the EOS-M which I can live with, makes a great one camera travel companion. So I've got another one :redface:

Just rambling...

I hope your not cutting yourself too thin there! :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

A bit? You think? ROFL

You just have a severe case of GAS. You're already in camera heaven, dude. Take two aspirin, a hot bath, and let it pass before you make any rash decisions. :rolleyes:

Yes, I admittedly suffer from GAS in all things related to technology, you should see my work station in my home office - which doubles as my photo PP machine (four monitors), and I'm never more than a generation behind in the latest phone version, which I immediately then root so I can do strange and unusual things with :rolleyes:

The u4/3 gear is here to stay, I just want to replace the PL5 with something that has a viewfinder and the GX7 looks like it might be that camera - I don't want the new Oly camera 'cause then I'd HAVE to get some of those 4/3 lens :biggrin:

Latest threads

Top Bottom