I rented the elusive 28 1.4 (pics added)

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by tlong, Jul 13, 2008.

1. tlong

tlong

May 25, 2008
    Southeast, USA
    I rented one of these for a wedding this weekend...I have heard a lot about this lens since it is the only AF semi-wide fast prime that Nikon has made in recent years. I am not a wide angle kinda gal, so I have had some trouble coming up with compositions that work well for this focal length. Also, I am a little disappointed in the sharpness and colors. Granted, I have been shooting wide open or close to wide open and mostly at higher ISO's with it all weekend.

I still have the evening left to play with it, so if you have one or have used one, I'd love to see some sample photos for some inspiration...Let's see what you've got. I'll try to put a few up here, too.

[​IMG]

331013346_Y922X-L.jpg

331013805_Nod23-L.jpg

331017081_3f68y-L.jpg

331017485_fJHAb-L.jpg

331017838_aoK6v-L.jpg

Thanks for looking. I am looking forward to your images!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2008
  2. I don't think they call them Big Wheels anymore, but the girl on the "Big Wheel" is great! Really shows off the lens.

3. On a side not, that "big wheel" looks like a lot more fun then the one i had

4. tlong

tlong

May 25, 2008
    Southeast, USA
    That thing is really cool! One of the neighbor's kids got it for his birthday Friday. All of the kids in the cul-de-sac really LOVE it! It has rear wheel steering, so they have all figured out how to come to a screeching, spinning stop. They said it is called a Green Machine and that they had them when they were kids (in the 70's). I remember seeing them then, but I don't think I knew any kids that had one. The funny thing is that it has a pretty good weight limit on it, so a lot of the adults have been riding it, too!

5. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    I think I need a Sigma 30 1.4 now also. LL forum does it again!!!

And the cool big wheel makes me wish I was 25 years younger ;)

6. tlong

tlong

May 25, 2008
    Southeast, USA
    Hi Pete. I am trying to decide between that and the 35 f/2...

7. My buddy had a green machine when we were kids.

As far as these photos, the colors look great to me, what's wrong? Besides, colors can be changed ad infinitum in post processing.

8. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    Well I've never used either, but I would imagine the Sigma 30 f1.4 would be the closest to the Nikkor, and I am really liking what I am seeing! Plus it's a stop faster than the 35 f/2. My only gripe with the 30 f/1.4 is with it being a DX lens, my next body is going to be full frame... F5 :biggrin:

9. mchung

mchung

Sep 17, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I've shot a lot with the lens on the D3 and D200. If you're shooting in daytime, it's a bit of a waste of the lens -- it's optimized for low light conditions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a daytime shot:
    [​IMG]

Also, the wide aperture makes it hard to nail focus. My D200 always had problems and I was not as thrilled with it; the AF fine tuning on the D3/D300 make it shine. Also, don't shoot at f/1.4 unless you really need to. I usually shoot at f/2 or better just so I can most things in focus and that's where its sweet spot on FX starts. I love the low contrast (easy to PP if need be) and it just has a distinctive look to it.

You've got some really good examples of shots showing the thin DoF, nice!

Martin

10. TheCommons

TheCommons

Jul 2, 2008
    LA, CA ;)
    How much does this cost on the average?

11. mchung

mchung

Sep 17, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    They seem to hover around $3000-3200 on eBay right now; they were about half that new and their rarity has driven the price up the last couple of years since they were discontinued.

I do think the need for fast wides is tempered a lot with such great high ISO capability these days. The 24-70 is easily its sharpness equal, is more flexible as a zoom, but doesn't have the same look, nor the same level of coma flare control (important for some kinds of night shooting).

On DX the Sigma certainly seems to have a lot of fans, but finding a good copy seems to be a general concern.

12. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    I have a Sigma 30 F1.4 and it couldn't be sharper wide-open or the bokeh any nicer...i guess the "good copy" issue is more related to internet talk than anything else, where the few who had bad luck look like many...i just regret not having bought one sooner. My other Sigma, the 15 F2.8 Fish is also another great lense, super-sharp wide-open. The only thing i dislike on any Sigma is the "EX-finish" which can rub-off....

13. wonderful series of images
    the nicest wide/low-lens around for nikon
    and..... you pay a price for that 'quality' and 'imagery.'

wonderful pictures
    if only.....

thanks for sharing

14. Debbie H

Debbie H

Aug 23, 2007
    Missouri
    Nice pics Tracey!!!

15. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

i think there's more to this one than "internet talk". none the less, a good sample is "ALL THAT". and like u, my only regret is not buying one sooner:Love: