I Sang Many A Song In This Church

.....but it's quiet now. Should have cloned out the power lines, but I didn't.

070-ta_bw_r.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Your images are just so Superb including this one of your part of the country and how communities have been lost because of economic reasons, and this has to be saddening site for you to see...
You could create a book with these shot you have been posting...

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Alan, I think the power lines should stay. For me, this image is all about the demise of social tradition in the face of both natural and manmade “progress”.

Exactly.

And again, Alan, I think there needs to be a book made of your images. They are phenomenal.

Alan, I think the power lines should stay. For me, this image is all about the demise of social tradition in the face of both natural and manmade “progress”.

I have to agree with Bob on this. I was going to mention that the power lines at least give a context of time to the image. Another great capture.

The power lines look like the future overtaking the past to me. I can almost hear the strains of "Blessed Assurance" or "Angel Band" pouring forth from these worn walls. It breaks my heart to see deserted churches, but when communities collapse, so do the signs of life.

When you publish your book of photographs, put me at the top of the list for an autographed copy. I love your work, Alan. And despite its rise and fall, West Virginia is still "almost heaven."

Thanks to everyone for such kind words of encouragement. No doubt I am saddened by the turn of events here at home. What a place it was to be raised in! I appreciate all of you so much. The power lines stay!

Your images are just so Superb including this one of your part of the country and how communities have been lost because of economic reasons, and this has to be saddening site for you to see...
You could create a book with these shot you have been posting...

Amen! Outstanding Work Alan! Time To Publish!:smile:

The old adage is a picture is worth a thousand words, but personally, I'd appreciate the words as much as the photograph, especially when the image is so well done and carries such an evocative title. I'm considering taking my camera into a few nursing homes in the area where I live with an offer to take photos and talk with the men and women about their lives. I'm curious about how human journeys unfold.

Knowing that you've been in this southern most county of West Virginia and once sang songs in a church that appears to have been unused for perhaps decades, makes me curious about your journey Alan. You don't say much about yourself on your website and I don't expect you'd share your story here, but I imagine you've lived a very fascinating life. Your photos give only a hint of the story, but they are appreciated nonetheless. You keep posting and we will all keep appreciating...

The old adage is a picture is worth a thousand words, but personally, I'd appreciate the words as much as the photograph, especially when the image is so well done and carries such an evocative title. I'm considering taking my camera into a few nursing homes in the area where I live with an offer to take photos and talk with the men and women about their lives. I'm curious about how human journeys unfold.

Knowing that you've been in this southern most county of West Virginia and once sang songs in a church that appears to have been unused for perhaps decades, makes me curious about your journey Alan. You don't say much about yourself on your website and I don't expect you'd share your story here, but I imagine you've lived a very fascinating life. Your photos give only a hint of the story, but they are appreciated nonetheless. You keep posting and we will all keep appreciating...

Curtis,

My life has certainly been fascinating to me anyway. I have been a musician for 47 years and have met a lot of fascinating and famous people as a result. Back in the 70s I played bass for many, many singers out of Nashville as they came close to where I live, so I made a lot of cool memories. Most recently my musical journey has gone down a song writing turn, and I have had nationally known bluegrass artists record some of my songs, so again I have met some more interesting people

The most amazing thing that ever happened to me, though, is when the Lord found me and made me fit for Heaven.

I am a true Appalachian to the core. I love my heritage and the culture that comes with it. I married my childhood sweetheart, and we have 4 children, 7 grandchildren, and 1 on the way. I am currently trying to document my county in pictures. I feel a calling to do it since I don't know of anyone else who is.

So, my relationship with the Lord, my family, my heritage, and my music and photography all will never allow me to become bored. I am disabled and not very healthy, so I need to hurry......haha. If I'd known I was gonna live this long I'da took better care of myself.

Thank you for the encouragement you give.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom