I saved $1000

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by GBRandy, May 4, 2007.

1. GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2007
  2. Very cool! I learned a trick from Al Jacobs about using the same fluorescent panels with pvc tubing to make a curved background. My son borrowed it to photograph guitars which he sells on eBay. Necessity is the mother of invention.

3. GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Brilliant! I have an idea in me head now on a cheap table top studio set up with pins in it to adjust the curvature of the panels....great idea Rich.
  4. First, this is not a professional job. Don't misunderstand me, please. The pics look fine but these should not be a final proof from any pro studio.

Secondly,your local studio really charges you 1000$ for one single job like this? This too is wrong.
  5. GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Hardly a need for professional job in this instance....never claimed to be...just needed e-maillable images....Better than with a camera phone.

By the time I run this through my marketing group, studio session and proofs, yea, about $1000, maybe $700...and two weeks. I needed something today.

You want to do it cheaper for me? :wink:
  6. Actually, Randy, you did a good job. But it is possible for a products studio to make it even better (please it's all about the equipment and nothing about talent or will) with the help of CGI and all. But anything above 300-500$ is too much. So for saving 1000$ you did great for sure.
  7. GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    I'll end up at the studio in the end....but I needed to slap something together. I was more trying to convey how in a pinch what you can dream up to get by.

I have done enough brochures, sell sheets, web pages and catalogs to know what to expect from the local pro's....I am there often. I never would accept this as catalog quality material...but it was close enough for a 600 x 600 DPI e-mail in a pinch....and I was able to do it myself in the basement.

They aren't great shots and I wasn't looking for any accolades on that...I was simply pointing out that a little creativity and some tools we all have can come in handy during a day at the office..... :)
  8. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  9. Let me get this straight,... you told her you should spend it on a lense BEFORE you spent it,... and she punched you.....
    Spending it,... getting the lense,... she'd punch you..... LOL
    Your information/purchasing/injury sequence is out of order... LOL
    Note to self,.. tell wife AFTER purchase,... duck and cover : ~ )
  10. Nice idea for a home studio. I have one of those portable light boxes and have made some good eBay item photos with it. The fluorescent plastic panel is something I'll keep in mind.
  11. robthorn

robthorn Guest

good job. I would definitely buy the 2 on the right before the one on the left. The left packaging looks more generic. although it is only a table cloth I just think the 2 on the right look that much better.
    i think they are great pictures that should get the job done which is your point in the first place.
  12. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    I think they turned out great, Randy. Nice that your innovation saved you $1000.