I shot my brother's Halloween party!

Discussion in 'People' started by Jonathan F/2, Oct 30, 2005.

1. I shoot Hollywood's elite, but I also do your run of the mill family Halloween gigs. To me it's all the same! I shot this party before I went to party myself and luckily I did, because I came home really faded and then I had to go to church with the parents in the morning! Morning hangovers while in church service is tough! (yes I'm bad) :biggrin:

My nephew and his posse!
    [​IMG]

My brother and his baby monkey.
    [​IMG]

Orange is the "in" color.
    [​IMG]

Play session.
    [​IMG]

The little princesses strike a pose.
    [​IMG]

Death becomes us!
    [​IMG]

Those are some beautiful blue eyes!
    [​IMG]

Baby monkeys drink beer too!
    [​IMG]

Tea party ladies?
    [​IMG]

I think I'm constipated?
    [​IMG]

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    CUTE! I like them all Jonathan. Its nice to see a softer side to your photography. Don't get me wrong. Most of the males on the cafe like your other work quite well.

Thanks for sharing.

3. I think I've shot everything! Seriously, if I can visualize the image I can take the photo! :tongue:

I like kids a lot! I plan to borrow my baby nephew so I can meet some hot moms! :biggrin:

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Good stuff Jonathan lololol
    Thanks for the holloween party !!!!

5. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I can see you doing that too.. :biggrin:

6. I love it.

In a few years all the bird and sunset and macro and sharp feline whiskers and Yosemite and street shots and...................that most of us post here are going to be rather meaningless.

My most valued shots are the mundane family and friend variety.
    Oh, what I would give to have a bunch of mis-framed and mal-exposed shots from our wedding 25 years ago.
    What I would give to 300 shots of my new bride and 10 of the California coast from out 1980 honeymoon...rather than the 10 I have of her. Stupid me.

Shoot family, friends and life's little events.

For most of us shooting for sport rather than for profit therein lies the joy in the future.

I was just sitting here looking at the flat flash shots I did last night at a 50th birthday party for my oldest friend in life...known since first grade. I delivered her 13 y/o who is friends with my daughter. Someday I'll , if lucky, show those flatly lit merit-less snapshots to her grandkids I hope.

Keep shooting.
    Your work is great, your subject matter sublime.

BTW perfect job done with the bounced flash.

medium.

7. This was my fave. You've got a good eye for the beautiful babes Jonathan :wink:.

[​IMG]

8. Everyday I learn something about photography, be it a new technique or a slightly better setting, I am constantly learning. It's gotten to the point where the camera is a part of my persona. If I could photograph a moment to where each shot tells a story in either a dramatic or calm way, that is my goal behind the camera.

To capture the story and to paint the picture the way I see it in my head.

9. You're not alone, Jonathan. That's become the case for me as well, and based on the passion I sense in our forum-mates' post, is a common condition among Cafe-ites. My camera rarely leaves my side, and when it does, I feel uncomfortable.

10. There have been times where I'm concerned that my camera becomes irksome or obtrusive and there is always, with poor discretion on my part, that potential.

When I do not have my camera people are than asking me where it is and to go get it because they have become accustomed to my photo-documenting presence. That, in most cases, reassures me that I've, more often than not, been an asset rather than a bother by my photo-presence.:rolleyes:

11. I see you snuck your cute little niece in there Jonathan. Cute image and looks like a fun party.

12. Great work again Jonathan.

And i like the monkeys you photographed. Never seen that specious before but they are great. They look cute and adorable.

Greetings,
    Vince

13. I fall back to the Fuji F10 pocket camera often because many times I just don't want the camera to become the point.

What I need to do is learn your flash techniques, Jonathan. Tonight doing halloween stuff was a pain in the butt. I even tried hand holding a flash on an off camera cord, but that of course is awkward for many shots.

Above, do you use a bracket for some and bounce for others? I have very rarely gotten good results from bouncing. Usually too flat, which I assume is the result of poor aim or poor bounce surface.

I have ordered myself a flash bracket after tonights fiasco. Time to learn "event" photography.

14. Flash photography is easy, just point and shoot. Flash bouncing is only good if the ceiling is low, or you have some sort of reflector. It's really easy, I don't know what to explain other than to just have fun! I rarely think about my shot and spend more time saying something witty to catch the attention of my subject! :smile:

15. Hi Jonathan,

These are really great captures, looked like everyone had a ball!

If you don't mind me asking, what were your camera and flash settings? I use the D70 and SB800, and rarely get result as good as these. I have to admit I am no good at flash photography at all...

Regards,
    Jonathan

16. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Great pictures. I particularly love the 1st and 3rd one. Perfect lighting etc., and a fun bunch of kids. Just beautiful.