I shot my daughter...

Discussion in 'People' started by cwilt, Sep 24, 2005.

1. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    with a camera.

Sometimes I wonder if I will ever move beyond novice abillities. :frown:

The first 2 images was indoors with nasty fluorescent lighting with my favorite 50/1.4. Last 2 were shot outside with SB800 for fill.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2005
  2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. The one i like the most 1-3-5 and #5 my favorite. All very well done.

4. I think most of us are looking for the perfect image and yet we are never quite sure just what that means. Perhaps we will know it when we see it. I like #3 the best as your daughter looks relaxed and with the windblown hair it comes across well. Keep at it, you are doing great.

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Charles, you are your own toughest critic. As mentioned in this thread, the images are very nice with my favorites being #3 and #5. These are lovely images of your daughter and should certainly be framed. We all have become so critical of our own work, especially after seeing the images posted by other members of our community. I have received some complementary comments about some of my sports images, but I am left rather unfulfilled when I review them myself. So, are we in a short-term funk...or are we just too darned tough on ourselves??? I tend to think that it just may be the latter. Keep popping those images...it will all fall into place. :smile:

P.S. I just asked a pro photographer from sportsshooter.com to review some of my images on the Pbase site so I can improve...he sent back a brief note saying, "I took a quick look, your shots are very blah, decent enough to satisfy some parents, I'll take a better look later and get back to you with more". I can't wait to hear the complete version...right about now, I'm feeling rather "funked"!!! :redface:

6. You shots are great.

My philosophy on this is quite simple. The only person I am really trying to please is myself. I want to know what others think, and it can and does change how and what I shoot, but ultimately the only opinion that matters is mine.

This is the great freedom of having no desire to ever sell a photograph or aim a camera for hire. Props to those that do, but I wouldn't enjoy photography nearly as much if I did. It already rules my working life as it is (writing photography related software).

7. FishSauce

FishSauce

Aug 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Great capture, I like the 5th picture the most then the 2nd picture.

The line that separate our skill level is very subjective :smile:

Ben

8. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I guess the difficult question is what skill do I not have that seperates me from the "pro"? :frown:

9. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Interesting question..."what skills are you lacking that a pro possesses?". Well, 1. length of time or experience doing a particular type of shooting (in this case...portraits). There is nothing more valuable than experience. Understanding what you have to do to make a shot work and how to pull everything together to make the end result what you had envisioned before starting. 2. a full array of professional equipment. The best camera for the mission...lens, lighting, meters, reflectors, remote locations...all of those adjuncts necessary to do the job right.
    I guess that I can ramble on...but pros have knowledge to get things done right and all of the toys that support the project.

10. Roosje

Roosje

May 25, 2005
    The Netherlands
    I think the third one beautiful! Spontane, lovely expression, wonderful compo and good dof.

Roosje