I sold the 18-200...REVERSE LLD

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Donzo98, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Yup... it's true... I sold it. :eek: Why you ask... good question!! It is the most versatile lens in the kit for sure, and for sure a great travel lens, but the small apertures were killing me :rolleyes:. I just could not get the subject isolation I was looking for at the longish end. The image quality while good... is not great IMHO (in comparison to the 28-70 and 70-200). I have both of these lenses and they are big and heavy... but their build quality is amazing and the IQ outstanding.

For example... here is the BEAST wide open at 70mm.

[​IMG]

So the top five reasons for selling were:

1. Small aperture at the long end.
    2. Image quality not on par with my better glass.
    3. That DAMN CREEP!!!
    4. Much darker image in the viewfinder than my 2.8 glass.
    5. Someone I know wanted one. :biggrin:

I know when I go on my next trip I will miss it... but then again... who's to say I won't buy another one!! :biggrin:

Am I nuts?? OK... don't answer that one :biggrin:. I already know the answer to that question. :smile:

2. Don,

I sold mine, too, but for other reasons. :wink:
    I'm now down to 1 Nikon lens. :eek:
    It's not like my LLD is cured or in remission, the focus has simply shifted a bit.

3. I_media

I_media

May 16, 2007
    Norway
    The solution for this is to put a small piece of gaffer tape on the full length of the first barrel (closest to camera, lens fully extended) or cover the whole first barrel with black electrical tape. I've used the black electrical tape trick on my Tamron 28-75 f/2,8 too and it eliminated the creep completely on both. The look of the black tape is almost the same as the barrels them self.

Maybe not what you wanna hear after you sold it though, but could be useful for someone else. :wink:

4. A lot of people seem to be letting this lens away lately. I am sure the guys at Nikon dont give a stuff one way or the other but just shows there is still plenty of demand for good quality glass with all the new bodies they have brought to the market recently.

5. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    That solved the problem partially (I posted my pics in the thread here)... not completely... and it also makes the zoom sticky from about 50 to 135 or so. :biggrin:

6. I_media

I_media

May 16, 2007
    Norway
    Ah, I see. The zoom became nice and smooth on both of my lenses with no sticky parts. Maybe a little bit firmer, but as it stopped the creeping, I'm satisfied with the trick.

7. I agree with you Don. While I'm nowhere near being in Glenn's or your league in trading glass, once I saw the IQ I was getting from the 17-55/2.8 and 80-200/2.8, I too sold my 18-200 and have never looked back. And mine didn't even creep, no tape necessary; I just kept it at 18mm when walking around and it stayed put.

8. cadman

cadman

Dec 4, 2006
    Johns Creek, GA
    another seller. Not that it's not a great lens but, I think the weight of the 1755/70200 is balanced well by the d200.

and... the better/faster focus and brighter viewfinder...

What can i say?

"Hi my name is Garry and I'm a gearaholic! I am addicted to fast glass and I don't want to stop!"

9. There are definitely trade-offs with this all-in-one lens.
    But what other small carry Nikon zoom will let you get a decent shot at 1/10, f/5.3, 400 ISO and 95mm?

[​IMG]

Just a quick grab shot of my daughter while she was strapping on her shoes for a Father-Daughter Girl Scouts Dance.
    Not a great shot by any means, but that was no fault of the lens.
    I'm not sure I'd personally get anything usable at 1/30 at f/2.8 (guessing at equivalent exposure here) with a larger f/2.8 zoom.

It took me 3 tries to get a really good copy of the 18-200vr, but it is certainly one Nikon lens that I will miss as I can't seem to replicate it in CanonLand.
    I'm forced to create a light carry/travel kit with the more bulky and unwieldy combo of a small prime and a smallish 70-200 4 IS zoom.

I guess whether you're ultimately satisfied with the 18-200vr depends on where you line up on the image quality-convenience scale. I was very satisfied. I hear Ken-L finds the 18-200vr satisfactory, too. :rolleyes: :smile:

10. Why am I not surprised?... :eek:
    18-200 is a great lens, but it IS a consumer lens (at x11 zoom it can't be anything else IMHO).
    It is great if you want to travel 1-camera/1-lens though.

11. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    You guys keep telling yourself that it's not good enough. I was happily taking shots with mine today using both ends of the range and not needing to switch glass - and purposely shooting at f8 & f11.

12. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    I didn't say it wasn't good enough... just that it cannot create the same images as the faster glass. If you don't care about background blur... and are happy at F8 OR F11... it is a perfect lens.

I am still an 18-200 lover for sure... but it is not capable of producing the images as the 2.8 glass because of the inherent aperture limitations.

13. The perfect lens?

Funny that someone would post that they sold their 18-200, I was thinking of doing the same thing after buying the 70-200 2.8. I have since decided that there is room in my arsenal and a purpose for both lenses. I now take the 18-200, attached to my D200, with me to work. It's a small enough package that I can keep it on the ambulance and use it when an opportunity presents itself.

14. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I went the other way. I have the "pro glass" and I love it, but desperately needed a one-lens solution for travel and some events. Despite its aperture limitations, it's a great lens for those.

15. Kevin's and John's answers conclude my thoughts perfectly.
    Yes, the 18-200 is not as good as the fast glass, but it is a great 11x zoom lens that will be the best option in many situations. :smile:

16. Dan Berg

Dan Berg

Mar 29, 2007
    Mohnton,Pa.
    Jordon said it all. It is a good consumer travel lens . It is actually very good but you probably should not be comparing it to a 17-55 or 70-200vr altogether different class. I have one and only use it when I do not want to lug the heavier lenses around. I would have kept it for that purpose alone.
    Dan Berg

All Nikon fleet - D2Xs D200(2) 10.5,12-24,17-55,70-200vr,18-200vr,200-400vr

17. Dawgneck

Dawgneck

Apr 25, 2007
    So Cal
    I also traded the 18-200VR for a 17-55 and a 70-200 VR.

The first day a walked out the door with the D200, 17-55 and 70-200 in my bag, the weight on my shoulder almost made me run back to the 18-200.

But when I put either the 17-55 or 70-200 on the body and start shooting, I forget all about the 18-200 (that is until I bag everything up and slap it on my shoulder again).

I will to miss the 18-200VR the next time I fly, but I made the right decision for my needs.

18. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    The 18-200 VR is one of the big reasons I got a Nikon DSLR. I had an order in for one at Ritz and was probably a few weeks from getting one and then cancelled. Despite being probably the best consumer "superzoom" lens out there, it's still fundamentally compromised. It's a 200mm f/5.6 but not nearly as good as a $170 55-200 f/5.6 at 200mm. It covers the whole range, but not without a lot of distortion. And due to the complex optics the bokeh isn't too pretty either which isn't so hot for portraits. Then there's the falloff past 70mm that you need to stop down for. My 55-200 looks great even wide open. I figured if I wasn't completely sure then I ought to just cancel the order since $750 is a lot of money to have tied up on something you're "not sure" of.

Glad I did.

My 55-200 looks great at 200mm, but I really do think that when I'm using a telephoto that I'd like something longer than 200mm. I borrowed a relative's Tokina 80-400 and that thing was overkill, so that 70-300VR is looking pretty good to me right now, if I decide to stick with a dedicated tele.

I also picked up a Nikkor 35/2 which is actually my favorite lens. This little prime is perfect for shooting my little girl (2 months old). And VR on an 18-200 won't help in dim light when your subject doesn't know to hold still, lol. You just need fast glass, especially when I like natural light shooting and hate using the flash. There are a lot of shots that I really love from this 35/2 that I simply couldn't have gotten with the 18-200 VR.

With DxO software I'm warming up to the 18-200VR again, since it'll fix a lot of the issues with these "try to do everything" type of lenses. I'd definitely like something with a bit better inherent IQ and reach than my 18-55, so I'm trying to decide between an 18-70DX, the 18-135DX, or the 18-200VR. The Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 is tempting also, but my 35/2 will work even better than that for those types of shots with "sneaker zoom" and 50mm is not the reach I'm looking for.

I'm not in a rush. Next up is a Tokina 12-24. My 18-55 is good for now, and DxO works wonders on that lens as well. :smile:

In summary, I think the 18-200 VR is an outstanding $600-700 lens (its MSRP is US$699, correct?) It would be a no brainer for me at that price. $750 from B&H and a bunch of other retailers is pushing it. $800-900 or more from others is just crazy. You can get PRO glass for that kind of money, like an 80-200 f/2.8. A Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 is not that much more at that point either. The wide angle will be my next purchase. Hopefully by the time I'm ready for a better mid-zoom walkaround lens the hype will be over for the 18-200VR and you'll be able to find them in stock at or below MSRP. If not I'll probably got for the 18-70DX or 18-135DX. We'll see.

19. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    The problem right now is the big supply/demand imbalance in the market. It's a great $600 lens that's being sold for $750-900. People are paying pro money and then expecting pro IQ, but it's just NOT a pro level lens. In a year or two when I'm ready to upgrade my mid-zoom, I'm hoping the market will have corrected itself and that I'll be able to get one of these at the US$699 MSRP or below. People who got theirs as soon as they came out got them for like $670 or something. Even then I still might pass, and hopefully Nikon will have some additional lens choices out by then also.

20. I purposely bought the 18-200 as a walkabout, does all, 1 lens solution for holidays/beach/kids parties etc... True - its not up to the likes of the faster lenses, but thats why they cost as much as they do.

A few weeks ago I muted the idea of selling my fast glass - its not something I'll be doing. The image quality of the 18-200 isn't as good, and you don't get the limited DOF and blur like you do with the f/2.8 lenses. But, I can happily carry the 18-200 all day, no neck/shoulder/back ache - I'll leave the fast glass for those occasions when I go out looking for something in particular, not just going "walkabout".