I sprung for my first flash today SB-600

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by SalM, Jun 19, 2007.

1. SalM

May 13, 2007
    Eastern Pa
    I am using a Nikkon D40 and finally decided to spring for an SB-600. I figured this would be my first entry level flash. The wife isn't too pleased as I just bought a 70-300 VR lense about a month ago:eek: So my wallet is a little tapped right now...LOL..

Any rate, I am so glad I bought this. I was playing with it and there are so many cool things you can do with these. Bounce flash is a nice option and I have been playing with that too somewhat. Another cool thing is the shade that comes with the lense. I stumbled upon that by accident. Really tones down the flash a bit. Plus the zoom feature is neat too....

I need to learn all the options but will mostly be shooting in auto mode...

Can one suggest the best setting on the camera to use with this flash? A,S,M, or P mode? Also is there anything I should change on the camera flash settings on the camera that I might have missed? I didn't change any settings on the camera itself. Just popped it on and starting snapping. The recharge time on the flash is quite quick too. I am very pleased. So far great money spent as I know I will use it allot.....

2. SalM

May 13, 2007
    Eastern Pa
    Refrain- When I said I would be shooting in auto mode, I meant using auto mode on the flash. I NEVER shoot in auto mode on the camera ever!!!!

Just wanted to clarify...
  3. slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    www.strobist.com is a great site with all kinds of info on shooting with flash. read the 101 section. great stuff!
  4. mariusz

May 23, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Best way to start with flash

I have D70 with SB800 so I am not sure if all settings will apply. Indoors I am using flash on auto and camera set to spot metering. This way flash changes from BL TTL to TTL mode. I am using much more flash outdoors to flatten the contrast and suppress shadows; camera is then set to matrix and flash is on BL TTL.
    Hope this helps
  5. Whats wrong with auto mode? It works wonders sometimes when you don't really want to or have time to mess around with something. The only thing I'd do is suggest using P since that mode won't pop up a flash when it feels like it.
  6. JennJenn

JennJenn Guest

I am shooting in manual mode right now and my...I sure do have to charge the sob's alot...hehe..thanks to my lack o' macro experience. hehe!
  7. Some have found this tutorial helpful to get you started right with your new flash,
  8. Hesperus

Hesperus Guest

Great nice simple start

I wish I had found this a few weeks ago. Took me more than a few hours to figure this out using the manual - still a way to go too!
  9. wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem