I stole this composition for my wine photo.

If you've seen the most recent edition of Wine Enthusiast, you'll recognize the composition in the image shown below. That's because I got the idea from a photo in that magazine. Though my photo is modified to conform with my style of wine photography, the basic scene is unquestionably right out of the magazine including the use of the bottle lying on its side on a diagonal, the glass of wine to its right, white wine, and the white fabric between the tabletop and the bottle.

Mike 2021-05-29--0001-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Photo of the Setup
The small lamp lit the label by grazing light across it to define its texture. That lamp also added the bright highlights to the wine glass. The larger lamp lit the overall scene. The white reflector brightened the top part of the scene and added a reflection to the left top side of the bottle. 25 focus-bracketed images at Nikon step size 3 were stacked in Helicon Focus at its default settings.
Mike 2021-05-29--0002-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Thank you also to Walter and Rick!

ever send these photos off to the vintner?

No, I've never sent any. The time required to send the photos probably wouldn't be worth anything, as I don't think there would be much interest by the wineries. As an example, one of the online retailers I regularly do business with asked if they could use my photos at their Facebook site but they weren't willing to barter photos for wine. Naturally, I politely explained that I wasn't interested in giving them the photos for free.

One of your best images Mike. Although the composition is stolen , your lighting still makes the image yours. Great reflections on the wine in the wine glass.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom