I sucked today...

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by cwilt, Aug 7, 2005.

1. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Only got a few keepers of bugs and missed a hummer only 5 feet from me. I am more than a little PO'd at myself right now.

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Well Charles,
    You came home with a Beauty.

Sometime I wait and shoot something for a year before I get the image I want.

Keep shootin and having fun

3. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Well, if you can come home with shots like this one on a "bad" day I don't think you have too much to complain about. :)

I kinda know what you mean though, some days you get in that groove and it feels like the shots come easily, but other days it just doesn't. For me the longer I have to go without doing any real shooting, the more likely I am to get off to a slow start when I do go out.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    It's not the shots you miss Charles, it's the ones you get. And this one is a beaut!

5. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Thanks for the kind words. Manual focusing kicked my butt today, which is not normal.

The big disappointment about the hummer is that I had a good setup for the shot. I was using the 300/4 + 1.4TC + extension tube combo for the bugs when I ran out of film. Went back in the house and got my film pack and started changing when I saw the hummer buzz up to the bush I was shooting at. I gently changed film and the hummer lit on a limb about 5 feet from me. There was nothing in the way of the shot. I eased the camera around and started to focus. Manual focus only with this setup. Just as I was fine tuning the focus it buzzed off.

My father-in-law loves to watch hummers at his home and I would love to get a nice shot and print it BIG for him as a gift. The thought of missing the shot mad me so angry I almost kicked the tripod with the camera over. :x :x :x :x

The good news is that I now know there is a hummer pair in the area and will put the feeder out and start working on a setup for a shot. I am thinking of 4 flashes and using the remote from inside. Still undecided about the lens choice at this time.

6. Looks like a good day. It takes a lot of photos to get just a few good ones.
    Pete

7. I saw my first hummer!

Charles,

I am sorry to hear about the hummer, but the image you posted is fantastic!

I saw my first hummer last week in Morgantown, WVA. I was watching bees and other insects flitting around the top of a 60 foot cigar (catalpa) tree. I was beginning to doze when a hummer buzzed my window. I spent the next 15 minutes watching him. :shock: Can you believe I refused to get my gear for fear of losing him? :cry: It was truly a magical moment. :lol:

8. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Crystal,

I grew up in Summersville WV. There were lots of hummers there. Many times while wearing a red hat I would come nose to nose with hummers when I was a kid. It can be a shock to think a bee is buzzing you and look up to see a hummer. :)