1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

I suppose the First Thing...

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by AlanG, Aug 13, 2008.

1. AlanG

AlanG

May 6, 2008
    Virginia, USA
    ... that people do when they got their D3 or D700, is to test the high ISO performance, and see for themselves just how good the high ISO is with these sensors. I'm no different. My D700 was delivered yesterday:smile:.

After doing some quick lens checks I just shot 1 shot each at 3200,6400,12800, and 25600. No images to show, you really need to see for yourself to believe. 3200 looks like 400 on my D300. 6400 looks like like 1600-2000. 12800 and 25600 are perfectly usable with some judicious use of NR software. I am totally blown away by this performance.

Just to show that I actually did shoot something other than focus charts and my boring dining room with my new toy.

This is a nine shot HDR of last night's sunset.

Nikon D700 ,Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD (IF) f11.0 iso400 at 75mm

2. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

Post Single Shot For Comparo Please.

3. Congrats on your new camera Alan! Where in VA are you get such a shot??? I rarely see any sunsets here in NoVA as there are too many trees/hills in the way, and not a lot of vistas...

4. AlanG

AlanG

May 6, 2008
    Virginia, USA
    Rich, I'm down in VB, and the shot was taken right at the entrance to my neighborhood.

Scooptdoo: I'll post the images when I get some time today.

5. How is the 28-75's sharpness on this body?

6. Nice shot, one of these days I have to learn how to do a mutiple shot HDR.

7. AlanG

AlanG

May 6, 2008
    Virginia, USA
    Sharpness is fine. It pretty much mirrors the results on the D300. It is a bit soft at f2.8, but by f3.5, it sharpens right up. Sweet spot is f5.6 to f8.0.

The bad news is vignetting. It is pretty bad at all fls, and is still visible, although barely, at f8. Bokeh can also be a bit rough at certain settings.

Mine is last years model, and build quality is very high, for a plastic barrel consumer lens. A friend of mine bought one of the new ones with the micro motor, and was very disappointed with it on his D3. He said the build was not as good, it is now a "G" style lens without the aperture ring, and focus hunted quite a bit. Mine does not hunt at all on either body (D300 or D700). It looks like they have really cheapened this lens by quite a bit. Has anybody else bought the new version?

8. AlanG

AlanG

May 6, 2008
    Virginia, USA
    Thanks, It is pretty easy with auto bracketing. All you need is the software to the the HDR part. Photomartrix or CS3.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.