I think I am evolving...

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Donzo98, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    I made a decision recently to sell my D2XS. Here is the story...

I have had a D2XS for a about a year or so. In March, I bought a D200 to have a little smaller camera for a trip I was taking. Over the last few months it seems I grab the D200 all the time and the XS has not been seeing much use. I rarely need the features that differentiate the XS from the D200 (HSC, higher FPS). I will miss the autofocus speed though :smile:.I have always been a gear head and love the best of the best stuff... but finally my little drop of common sense said "Why do you need the XS?". Don't get me wrong... I am not saying the 200 is a better camera... but it seems that FOR ME it is.

So... on the way to my house right now is a MO for my baby... off goes the XS :eek::eek:. I know I will regret it once in a while... but there's always something new to buy. :smile::smile: For now the D200 fits my style quite well thank you... :biggrin::biggrin:

2. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    evolving or revolving? think about it...

3. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Huh?? Not sure I get you... :confused:

4. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    well, eventually, the D200 will prove not enough and you'll be back in line for the latest pro cam, maybe... that's revolving. But if the D200 is just right and stays that way, then you've digressed perhaps, or at least laterally transferred, since many refer to the D200 as a pro grade cam. Yeah, I guess it is, just not a vertical mounted cam. Both are good cams, enjoy whichever is to your taste. If you are doing more kid candids and such, I can see where the D200 is more to your liking really, the D2X is a lot of cam for slinging around.

I only the other hand have a D200 and a D2X and a D2Xs. My D200 has about 2200 shots on it, and I bought it first. My X series cams see more action, but it's a product of my shooting, slinging a cam around in the mountains, I want one I can grasp firmly and the D2x style vertical grip is for me.

My D200 sits more than not, but I recently did make a decision to sell my D80, and use the D200 in it's spot, so it is seeing more action as a digicam so to speak. I decided micro cameras were not for me, to small and I don't do anything I need to put one in my pocket anyway much.

5. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Exactly... too heavy to sling around... and it ain't cheap either. :smile: I banked a few bucks too, but when the great high ISO FF body comes along... now that's another story... :biggrin:

Maybe I am not evolving as fast as I thought :biggrin::biggrin:

6. D200 is pretty heavy too with an L bracket and lugging it miles up mountain sides :biggrin:

7. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    True on both counts I'd say... I thought you may be prepping there Don. I hope it happens. I've considered going ahead and selling my other D2X, but I'll keep the s. But I haven't decided yet. I'm not sure the big D3 is almost here, hard to say...

8. dtbh

dtbh

Mar 9, 2006
    Malaysia
    I have the D200 and the D2X too, and I use them fairly equally in my portraiture work. Though heavier the D2x is actually smaller in size if you compare it with the D200+MB-D200. I seldom use the features in the D2x that the D200 does not have but the fast-focussing D2x is something that I like very much esp in low light situations. And there is the issue on the D200 battery. :frown:

The D3 is sooner than you think...enough said. :wink:

9. With the D200, I use manual exposure, spot metering and manual focus. I dont even use the features I have :rolleyes:

10. Interesting Don. I am definitely somewhere between revolving and evolving:

D70 to D2H to D200 to D2HS to D2X. Along the way, I sold the D70, D2H, and both copies of the D200. The D200 is a fabulous camera, especially when I added the MB-D200, but I love the focusing speed and extended battery life of the D2HS and D2X.

11. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    "And everything old is new again....." :wink:

Personally, I did a lot of shooting 'way back when(Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away...) and all we had was manual focus, manual exposure and you had to tote a separate meter if you wanted spot metering. I don't miss the "good old days" in the least. For me, 3D Matrix metering gets me, on the average, a lot better exposures than I got back then, the various AF modes get me sharper pictures, and the ability to set the camera for a 3,5, or 7 EV bracket on CH gets me better results with a lot less thumb exercise than the old way. This isn't to say I don't use manual focus when I need to(I've got 'way too many MF lenses for that) and spot metering in the camera is great when you need it. But, all in all, in 1970 I'd have swapped a truckload of Nikon F's for one D200!

Progress is A Good Thing! I still take the old F or the Nikkormat out occasionally for a spin around the block, but it's mainly a nostalgia thing. With the D200, I can concentrate more on the image instead of the process. And, IMHO, that's A Good Thing, too.

We live in a great time where we can combine the best of the old with the best of the new. Why not take advantage?

As far as the D2XS/D200 question, I can't see any real advantage on the D2XS side other than the CAM2000 AF. And that only comes into play if you're doing some very serious sports or long-range bird shooting. And if you're really into that end of the biz, you're probably using a Canon anyway.....

Bill

12. Are you privy to some 'inside' info? :eek:

Any more hints???

JohnG

13. The day I brought home my brand-new D200, in the process of moving up from my D70, the moment I snapped the shutter and touched the various buttons on the body, I said, "oh, wow!"

The day a year and a half later that I brought home my brand-new D2Xs, the moment I snapped the shutter for the first exposure, I said, "WOW!!" and promptly pressed it again just to experience that sound, that feeling.... I definitely notice a discernible difference between the D200 and the D2Xs and I love each camera for what it does..... I will say, though, if it came to a choice between them, that I would choose the D2Xs each and every time.

Now when I go out for serious shooting the D2Xs is the primary camera and the D200 serves as backup. There are times, though, when for whatever reason the D2Xs stays at home and maybe the D200 or the D80 go out for the fun.... In a week or so I'll be heading up to the beach in Delaware, and I would just as soon leave the D2Xs at home so that there is NO possible risk of getting sand and salt in it. Probably I will leave the D200 at home for the same reason and take the D80 with the 18-200mm VR on it so that I won't have to change lenses....

I love my D2Xs and I waited a long time for it, waited until I thought my shooting was worthy of it.... I can't imagine letting it go now, but of course each of us has his/her own priorities. Sure, maybe one day Nikon will come out with its wonder camera and I'll be burning with desire for that, in which case if it were financially feasible I'd sell the D200 so that I'd have the wonder camera as my primary and the D2Xs as my backup....

14. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    I like the way you think Connie... :)

15. dtbh

dtbh

Mar 9, 2006
    Malaysia
    John, I can't.... I should say I haven't any.

Lets get back to Don's original discussion. :wink: