I think I'm forcing it too much.

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Connahhh, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    Thus, boring pictures of boring subjects. Critique would be appreciated.

2692064338_64cbf051e4.

2691250869_8721bc9d28.

2691249717_f0fb9b3528.

2692061098_326fd60696.

View attachment 225415

2691246785_90424f839f.

All of them are Delta 100 in stock D76 for 8.5 minutes. Hasselblad 500c and 80mm F/2.8 C.

2. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    I wouldn't say that you're pushing it too much, some of these I like and some I think aren't as good.

I particually like 4 and 5. What's going on with that light patch and stripe on 5 however?

To me 3 and 6 have too much shadow/dark space.

3. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    The light strip is still an unsolved mistery. It's not coming through the dark slide slide, that's for sure, because it's the same over four negatives and then it stops.

Thanks Robert.

EDIT: Ah, sorry. I thought you were talking about the first one and the light leak on that. No, that light patch is just some glare. I was shooting almost directly into the sun without a light shade... :eek: 

4. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    Forgot to post these as well.

2690945591_db08b3ec7e.

2691754726_1c292cbb28.

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    The second and sixth ones are boring. You probably could have recomposed both of those with a slight difference to bring some freshness to them.

The light in the fifth one does not look like natural glare to me, because of the shadow at the top of the photo. It looks like a light leak in the magazine. That could also produce the issue in the first one.

6. They aren't all boring, probably just the 2nd and 6th, as Chris said. I really like the composition of the first one but the OOF rocks bother me. Try a smaller aperture and set to the hyperfocal distance for maximum DOF.

7. Connor have you checked the seals on your film back? That might be what's causing the light leaks!

8. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    Not only have I checked the seals, they're brand new. They couldn't be newer, actually. This is the first roll I've used them with.

Chris, I know what you're saying but that seems weird to me that it could be anything other than glare. It almost looks fogged.

Rodney, the OOF rocks bother me a bit too. I believe this was F/16, though. I'm planning on re-shooting anyway because of the leak. I'll try F/22.

Thanks everyone.

9. connor,

All I can tell you is that via The Project, I've learned that forced shots just do not hold the passion that ones we enjoy do. Its not like you set out to shoot subject that you enjoy in a more perfect way (technical, or otherwise), but there is something that comes through in a photo that you ENJOY shooting, vs one that you MUST shoot (I'm sure you've missed all my rants on forced photos too! :tongue: :biggrin: ).

10. Connor, something's definitely amiss here. Those look like light leaks. What's odd is that the bleeding is not restricted to the image area but extends into the film edges also. The film edge should be the same density throughout. Also, I notice some heavy moiré in the forest shot. How are you scanning these?

11. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    Andri, my Dad and I stared at the rest of the roll that was affected and came to the conclusion that we have no idea.

It's so strange. It bleeds uniformly just outside the film border, has a gradient, and is consistent through some shots and completely different in others. It's really, really odd. I'm scanning these with an Epson 4490, laying glass over the negs. Which is the cause for any newton rings.

Gretchen, I COMPLETELY agree.

12. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    I love the 3rd one with the barrels. Wow, what a huge range of tones. I also love the 5th one, light leaks in all. It adds a sort of mystique to the photo.

13. Connor, one other possibility is that you have a faulty (sticky) shutter. The vertical banding is a good clue that this might be the case. Oh, and by the way my name is Ray. That is a quote in my signature.

14. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I agree with this! The unintentional fog really adds a 'rain forest' atmosphere tho this shot. Not boring by any means!

Rats. I was hoping that you were channeling.

15. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    Thanks Chris. I don't think its actually fogging of the film, but a glare. The line looks like it is shade on the lens, not unfogged area.

Thanks Steve. I too am constantly impressed with the tonal range of film.

If it was that, it would be a new problem that has sprung up. I've shot three rolls through it now with no sign of this problem before.

Oh, and sorry RAY. :biggrin:biggrin:

16. Connor, ignore what I said. If it was the shutter it would not impact the film edges!

17. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    Makes sense, yeah. I'm still baffled by these leaks. I'll see what the next roll brings. I'm now thinking it was a loading leak.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.