1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

I thought I read that you could not spot meter in Manual mode

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Debbie H, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Debbie H

Debbie H

Aug 23, 2007
    Missouri
    Ok I know I read this in one of the threads on the Cafe. That you could not spot meter in Manual mode. You could use center and matrix but not spot metering. Is this just in some cameras. Gosh I wish I could find that thread was. :confused:  Thanks!!

2. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    I thought the meter in the viwfinder will work on all modes, not that it actually changes anything if you are in full manual.

3. Debbie H

Debbie H

Aug 23, 2007
    Missouri
    Well Darren I just tried it and it looks like it is doing the job. But I know there was a long thread on spot metering in Manual mode.

4. I'm away from camera and manuals, but isn't it that spot metering automatically takes you out of i-ttl mode?

5. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    the manual states that in spot metering, i-TTL Balanced flash is not available.

P108 d2xs manual

6. Right you are! Thanks.

7. Debbie H

Debbie H

Aug 23, 2007
    Missouri
    Ok, So it works in Manual mode with TTL but not TTL-BL. Correct??

8. chemisti

chemisti

May 24, 2007
    McKinney, TX
    No iTTL-BL with spot metering...

I don't claim to be an expert - but I have been playing more recently with on camera flash...

When I shoot manual, it seems that flash compensation of -1.3 to -1.7 gives a nice fill when using iTTL, depending on the situation...

9. The Diffrent metering modes

Spot
    Matrix
    Center

Works in every mode

S
    M
    A
    P

But as you stated the TT-BL wont be available on the flash if your camera metering is set to spot metering.

Reason?

TT-BL will tell your flash to be in "fill flash mode" in other words, it will take the ambient light into account. And this contradict the use of spotmetering offcourse.

10. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    Interesting, I had not considered the impact of manual on ittl

11. Debbie H

Debbie H

Aug 23, 2007
    Missouri
    Paul thanks for the in-depth info. makes total since. Debbie

12. As Paul said, it doesn't matter which mode you're in M, A, or S . To use TTL BL you must be in Matrix or Center Weighted metering. As soon as you change to Spot metering the flash will change to TTL.

At weddings I just leave my flash in TTL BL most of the time. When I'm inside I use spot metering and the flash will switch to TTL. If I'm outside and want fill flash I switch to Matrix metering and the flash changes to TTL BL.

That way I'm not touching the flash, it will change with the metering.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2008
  13. Debbie H

Debbie H

Aug 23, 2007
    Missouri
    Thanks Greg!! I will make not of that!!Debbie:smile:

14. corns5

corns5

Mar 21, 2008
    Florida
    )

Learning about flash myself, and that is one of the things I first learned in reading... reading.... reading, and remembered! I love it, cause I don't have to mess with the flash to change from TTL-BL to TTL; all you have to do is just change to spot! (or back to matrix and Voila! you're in business.

15. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Very very useful post - especially comments from Paul L and Greg. I have been trying to get my head around using flash and couldn't figure out why my SB800 would show TTL but not TTL BL - ah ha!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.