I too had a great lunch hour today.

Discussion in 'Birds' started by james thiel, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Today I went to Discovery Park in Seattle during my lunch hour. A coworker was there on Saturday and told me about the owl. This guy seemed very tame. It was not at all worried about the people, including me. It seemed pretty sleepy and it was hard to get it to open its eyes. I feel so lucky, as I have wanted to see one of these for a long time and to get the chance to be so close was really special. These were all shot with my D2X and 500 4.5 lens with 1.4tc. I was able to get to within 20-30 feet. Several shots were full screen even not using the HSC mode.

original.

View attachment 20591

View attachment 20592

View attachment 20593

View attachment 20594

To think that just two week ago I had never seen an owl and now I have seen a dozen or so. I sure feel fortunate. The snow owls have been reported in several locations around the state. Now to find one with some snow on the ground and then have it fly. I guess I better not get too greedy!!

2. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Wow... Absolutely awesome!!

3. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Ooooooh Myyyyyyyyyy

Now I'm depressed......(sort of anyway)

I'll get one of these beauties sooner or later.

Awsome work :)

4. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    I just noticed something

He kinda looks stoned!

5. Great shots Jim. Discovery park, who would have thought.

6. bfjr

bfjr Guest

that's a gorgeous Owl !!
    and your shots show him off so well
    really fine shots.

I thought I had a good lunch but now not so sure !! ?? :rolleyes: :wink:

7. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Nice shots James. He looks like an eskimo owl. Eerr...or something like that.

8. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Jsut a super series James,

A great opporunity that you made the best of, Bravo Sir!

Wade

9. Hey James,

You can put me down for a WOW! You guys are out of control!

I agree with Jim, 3, 4, & 5 he totally looks stoned.:smile:

Great work! Thanks for sharing.

10. Jim I do not feel the least bit sorry for you after your day today. I did use some of the knowledge you gave me to get close. This guy was in no mood to fly today. Maybe next time I will get that lucky. Thanks for your input Jim. And yes, he did look at little stoned. Maybe he ate something that ate something!!

11. Thanks Dave.

12. Ron you should check it out. Look at tweeters to see where it was last seen or go to the visiters center.

13. Thanks Ben. I was sure happy to have had the chance to see this beauty. You did have a good lunch also, for sure.

14. Thanks Chris. We needed some more snow for him. Ours melted today or it would have made a nice ground cover.

15. Thanks Wade.

16. Thanks Ty. Yes I wonder what he was on. The good thing is that it made him look so sleepy. Sure a difference from the short ear owls I saw on Saturday.

17. Ya Know, Jim, yeah, You Know :wink:

Just hope he is still around when I get back, we can make another meet there at lunch one day the following week.

WOW :cool: , what else is there to say? OK, I'm JEALOUS, that is what else :biggrin: . These are grand, what would you guess to have been your distance from the Owl?

Man, it is at times like this I sure wish I was at home......sheesh....

ps. The third shot makes me hear "Yeah, Man, Way Cool" coming from the bird, in the voice of Tommy Chong from any of the Cheech and Chong movies. Just that farway look in his eyes :wink:

18. Thanks Bill. You know it really helps to have a birder in our office. She told me just where to go. She was absolutely correct. I started out pretty far away, maybe 60 feet or so. By my last series I was within about 20 to 30 feet. I was full frame with no HSC being used. I think if I wanted I could have even gotten a little closer. Being that the owl has been hanging in the city park, it is getting pretty used to having people watching it.

I would say there is a very good chance it will still be around when you get back. It has been in the area for the past two weeks according to tweeters.

Mostly it has been seen on roof tops. I was lucky that it had come down to a pile of logs on the ground. A much better perch to shoot from.

We can make a lunch outing when you get back.

19. Consider it a date, probably the cheapest one I'll have all year long :wink:

20. You guys and your owls are killing me! Fantastic killer shots.