I took my camera in a canoe, call me crazy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Electromen, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Call me crazy but I took my camera on a five hour canoe trip on the Youghiogheny River, in western Pennsylvania. I took a D70, 17-55 f/2.8 DX, 70-200VR and a SB-800. I had all the equipment in an all weather bag, inside a dry cooler, which was tied down. If the canoe would have turned over, all the equipment would have been destroyed. I was a little nervous the whole time, but I'm glad I did it, everything stayed dry. Some of these areas are only accessible by canoe. The first photo was taken on land with the 17-55, the second was taken with the 70-200VR, in the canoe, while floating down the river.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Just one more to show some of the water. These are friends we went with, taken while in the canoe using 70-200VR

[​IMG][/IMG]

3. Aren't canoe trips fun. I have never worked up enough courage to take my expensive camera equipment in one. Nice images.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    That first image is just sooooo nice. Peaceful. wow

You are one brave person :>)))

5. You are one daring photog !

I would do the same inside a rowboat, but never in a canoe. I've heard of a waterproof case for the CoolPix 8800 that I own. That would be safe I guess.

6. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

You are crazy.. No doubt about it.
    Man it took me close to 35 years for me to get back into a canoe after a boy scout trip when I was 11 or 12. My dad really didn't want to go on the trip but he loved me so he went, not 5 minutes into the river we hit a rapids and got wet.
    We were stupid and didn't pack extra dry clothes in a plastic bag so we had to spend the rest of the day in wet clothes.
    Just after we stopped for lunch we hit the second rapids of the day and you know it, we went in again. 3 more hours in wet clothes.
    My Dad was great, he just said never again. So we never went out again in a canoe.
    So the chances of me ever taking any kind of camera in a canoe just is not going to happen. :biggrin:

7. You're a lot braver then me! Maybe an airtight cooler that could float would work???

8. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Nice shots Greg, you're braver than me. I did take my SLR gear on a canoe once but it was stowed away in a Pelican Case that was lashed to the canoe and I never even considered taking the camera out while we were on the water.

9. I like outdoor picture in the wild the canoe is often the only way to reach nice places to take pictures.

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Greg, brave or nuts. :rolleyes:

Nice shots. I really like the first one. :smile:

11. Good for you, Greg!! Expand your horizons, change the angle of your shots, venture out!! I've been shooting from kayak for two years now. Have never dumped in (very vigilant about keeping my eyes open for submerged logs, rocks, etc). The kayak is VERY stable. My backside is sitting on the bottom of the kayak, not up on a seat like canoes. This has given me a great sense of security. I'd highly suggest anyone tether their drybox to their boat so any rescuers can just cut the tether if there's a problem. No rescuer wants to swim underneath an overturned boat to get equipment. All my dryboxes, drysacs etc are tethered so they can't float away but can be removed easily.
    I've managed to grab incredible shots with the S3Pro and my 70-200VR that I'd never get from land.
    I highly recommend getting out there, get on the water, just paddle safe but it sure will change your viewpoint!
    original.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2005
  12. Henk

Henk Guest

"not for the faint hearted" the English would say ;-)

GREAT images, the fact that this is the only way to get them makes it special, I understand the feeling. ;-)

13. TOLady,

Wow beautiful shot. It reminds me of Lake Hunter near Kipawa,
    Canada.

Greg

14. Thanks Greg. It's Buckhorn Lake in Ontario. I didn't throw this in to compete with your pics, but rather to emphasize that there are just some shots you'll never get unless you get out onto the water!! LOL This shot was taken with my little Canon 300D which I keep available for videos. I just didn't feel like switching lenses because I was in such a peaceful mode. No another soul around for miles. There's an osprey nest on top of that lone pine in the middle. I actually ended up 'osprey talking' with the baby. I'd whistle and he'd always whistle back, everytime I visited. Talk about being at one with nature.
    Glad you've gotten into the brave mode and ventured out onto the water with your gear. If one uses one's grey matter, it's not scary at all.

15. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Good shots Greg. I have been on several adventures where I thought "Man I wish I had my camera". So I recently took it on a canoe and kayack trip. The results were some great pictures that I would not be able to get unless I took a chance with my camera. I would pack it up in a pelican case as we would get to the rapids then pull it out and shoot the others as they cam through. Here are a few results.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. jb007

jb007 Guest

Well I'm impressed with all these shots would love to take some like that but we haven't suitable wet areas where I live the nearest is a reservoir or gravel pit but in comparison to these well these is no comparison.

17. Jim... so get your hose out and start filling in the backyard!! LOL We'll all be over with our kayaks and canoes!

18. OK, you're crazy.

D2H on a waverunner.(racing, shooting backwards one handed, at that)

Me crazy too.

19. Vernon,
    Being crazy in a canoe is one thing, but on a wave runner? Do the Mental Health Authorities know about this? LOL. I guess it's a matter of what you are comfortable with. Beautiful photographs.
    Greg

20. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I hope you guys at least have some kind of insurance for your camera gear... :wink: