I took the plunge.....

Ordered my D700 and 24-120 f/4 today.

Had always planned to go full frame once I got the mortgage paid off, which we did in January.

Had thought that the 'D800' would be just around the corner by this time. I might have waited, but still gone with the D700, if the new body had 24+ mp's.

Decided to go for it. It should be here on Friday. It should be quite different from my D80.

Wish me luck....:)

Congrats :smile:

I don't understand this whole 24mp kick people are on these days... Unless you plan on printing for the sides of buildings - what is the benefit of 24mp over 12?

24mp is more pixel density for the same size sensor area, unless the laws of physics are broken or some new amazing development in sensor technology, it would be hard for 1/2 of the size photocells to collect the same amount of light or more light, you can go D3x or canon, if you are working for print and need huge posters, heck some phones are doing 14mp today.... enjoy your D700 and spend your saved money on glass, anything f1.4 prime is a good start, that will blow whatever iso improvement the upcoming d800 might have. enjoy your D700, you will love it:)

I made use of the same rationale when I decided to make the purchase a couple months back and I couldn't be happier!

I hope that you will love it too. The ISO differential alone is going to be a little bit of an adjustment!

Thanks folks. I really like using wide angle lenses. I have a Sigma 12-24. It is like 18-36 on my D80. I'm looking forwarding to going real wide now.

It should be quite different from my D80.

Wish me luck....:)

That's quite an understatement....:biggrin:

I went D80, D200, D300, D3 and then D3s and was still blown away when I first got the D3. You'll be so overwhelmed with the results of the D700 that you'll think you've just discovered photography.

Good luck...great choice of body and lens.

Rob Zijlstra

A Koffie Drinker
It should be quite different from my D80.

Congrats! I went from 80 to 700 two yrs ago: incredible difference! But did I mention that 400 pages of fine print that comes with it? Required reading: at the very least 2 times:biggrin::biggrin:

Congrats. If I'd waited for my mortgage to be paid off I'd have to order a D70000000. :)
Best laugh we have had all year!

Congratulations on your purchase, I have only had mine for a short while, it is a phenomonal camera. I have a big learning curve from D70s but it has been a great adventure.
I found David Busch's Nikon D700 book to be an excellent resource. Although it is lengthy I have been able to follow along & really get into the functions better with his color illustrations in book.
Enjoy!

Thanks for the replies and advice, folk. It should be here tomorrow. I know I'll be in for a big learning curve, but I am really looking forward to it.

One benefit of buying 'late' in a product cycle, is that there is lots to learn from others. This site has some superb threads on people's experiences over the last couple of years.

Me? I'm wondering what life is like beyond ISO 600.....:)

Congratulations also. D700 + 24-120mm f4 VR is my favorite combo for general photography. It's not too heavy either unlike the f2.8 lenses. I also shifted from D80 to D700. Here is a sample image that I recently took with this combo @ 120mm.

Nikon24-120mmf4_089.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom