I took them all to Hawaii

I spent more time trying to decide which lenses to take to Hawaii than I did picking out the clothes I'd bring. My first thought was limit the kit to 3 lenses, but after weighing the pros and cons, I loaded my backpack with 5 primes. I'm glad I did, because they all came in handy.

20/3.5UD: Despite it's age, it's still great for scapes, architecture, and environmental portraits.

dsc_6693%20ed-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

28/3.5K: Nute spotted this on sale at KEH.com for $50, and suggested I buy it for sunrise/sunset photos. It came in handy for that and more.

dsc_6901%20ed%20topaz-XL.jpg

60/2.8G: If I could only have one lens, this would be the one. My most used lens, it's great for everything from macros to scapes, and awesome for portraits.

dsc_6862%20ed-XL.jpg

dsc_6757%20ed-XL.jpg

85/1.4D: Surprisingly, this was my least used lens on the trip. But when it has its turn, it makes magic.

dsc_6606%20ed-XL.jpg

180/2.8: I only expected to take the occasional candid or headshot with it, but it was a star at the luau.

dsc_6963%20ed-XL.jpg

dsc_6966%20ed-XL.jpg

dsc_6999%20ed%20topaz-XL.jpg

16714142_xpFS4k

The moral of the story? For vacations, man-up and take all of your good glass.

My 400 VR would be really heavy to bring on vacation! :wink::biggrin:

Nice pictures Uncle Frank, which island(s) did you visit?

We flew to Maui, and stayed in a condo complex on the water at Wailea for the entire time. Our typical day was morning at the beach, an afternoon visit to a gym in Kihei (weightlifting with the Samoans), and dinner/movies at the condo. It was a low key, family style vacation.

nice pictures frank ! i'm sure you don't regret taking all the pics =)

Having all the lenses at my disposal worked out well, Billy. I loaded a small messenger bag with a few lenses that appropriate for each outing. The scenery was stunning...

dsc_7068%20ed%20topaz-XL.jpg

but my primary focus was family portraits.

dsc_6873%20ed-XL.jpg

dsc_6905%20ed-XL.jpg

Real Name
Doug Boufford
Frank
Thanks for sharing those - BUT we all know that you could use a D20 and a K-Mart lens and get great pics :)

Of course, the models and the "lousy" scenery don't help at all :)

Nice post, Frank. I laughed to know that I'm not the only one that can't make a decision and end up lugging everything along. My wife thinks it's crazy, but... Got a kick out of your "moral" as well... :tongue: I think you did a fantastic job making good use of all your lenses, but in particular the 20, 60, and 85. Or maybe I'm just partial to those types of subjects... :smile:

Latest threads

Top Bottom