1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

I touched one today

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by senna, Jul 2, 2008.

1. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    I am not the best reviewer, but I just thought I would let you guys know I poped into a local store today and they were all oow and aaw over a camera. At first I thought ot was D300 but upone closer inspection it was a D700.

Now I have not even handled a D300 yet, The guy looks at me and says you want to check it out, "who me, well ok". First thing I noticed is the large screen and the smaller lcd on top. then looking through the view finder was a whole new experience. There was no card in it so I said "no card?", So he says put this in there, so I did and fired a few of. I know to you D300 and D3 guy,s alot of this is old hat, but it was neat none the less.

2. good on yopu Troy. That had to be fun!

3. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

right on Troy....how is they had one already?

4. So, when is yours coming?

5. Cool - was it a demo or sale model?

Sean

6. When are you going back, Troy?

7. pointa-b-c

pointa-b-c

Mar 21, 2007
    Los Angeles
    My only concern will be how much "slower" D700's AF will be compared to D3's. And how does it feel like compared to D200's AF performance?

8. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    It was cool:cool: 
    It was the Nikon reps camera, I quess he (or she) just droped it off and said have fun.

This should push a D2x just within my reach:biggrin: not going to the store but the release of the D700.:tongue:
    Nikon reps camera
    I must refrain, I also need to upgrade my Mt. Bike. You have any idea what those things cost.
    I tried to get a read on the af. It had a 24-120 vr(suppossed to be a new release also) But in the not so bright corner of the stoe nothing spectacular. That is also the one thing i am not happy with on my D200.

9. Very interested in that comment - did they say it was a new version of that lens? I keep thinking Nikon must have more lenses coming, and was surprised that all that was talked about this week were the two PC lenses.

10. pointa-b-c

pointa-b-c

Mar 21, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for your answer, I, too, am not too happy with my D200's AF performance.

11. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    yes they said a new lens. I ask them several times what was different? The said "not sure":confused: 

I shoot some wakeboarding and water skiing plus some motor sports and frankly some not so demanding situations that the D200 af dissapoints me.:mad: 

12. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Jun 15, 2008
    England
    :eek:  I assume that it wasn't a constant aperture f2.8 or f4? I also assume you checked :)  It wasn't huge was it?

13. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    No, 3.5 -5.6
    Also no aperant differance to the current one.:confused: 

14. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Hey Troy,
    Lucky guy. Can you tell us more about the Camera? Maby if you happen to make it back to that Camera store you could throw one of your Cards in a take a few in the store capture' s with a Nikkor AIS. Nothing fancy just anything you happen to have laying around:biggrin:. Maby a 50 1.4 or a lowly 35 F2. Im not fussy:rolleyes: . And if you do get to have occasion I would love to hear your impressions on the what it's like to Focus some MF Nikkor AIS with the D700. Thanks

Greg

15. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    How bright was the viewfinder? I have a couple of MF lenses that I'll need to use on this thing. With Katz saying they wouldn't be making a screen for the D3, this is a concern for me...

16. TomD.

TomD.

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, Texas
    Hey,
    Can I have your autograph :) 

Thanks for the update Troy

17. First you pick them up then you pull out your wallet. It is that chain of events that keeps us going.

18. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    That last post remind me of the "take the puppy home and see how you like it" sales approach. I said for year's to the local camera store why dont you guys carry(... OO) and have one for demo.? The price of the ? is always the answer . And I guess I can see the point, but having placed in front of you picking it up and yes getting it's "feel" has always struck me as the best sale pitch I ever had. That and forums like this one. I mean how many 200 F2 ED-IF VR where and will be sold by the amazing 200 F2 ED-IF VR thread? I got an old 200 F2 ED-IF that Im more than happy with, and its got me feeling the deep lower gutteral "lens lust"

Greg

19. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    I do not think I will make back there anytime soon.
    The view finder seems very bright to me(compared to my D200)It is supposed to be the same as D3 except the dust removal system makes it slightly smaller
    For a fee I will send a 8x10 autogrghed copy of my avatar.:eek: :biggrin:
    Glad I was some help
    I have special fastners on my wallet pocket.:biggrin:

Hands on makes resistance tough.

20. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Jun 15, 2008
    England
    I can't believe they are updating the 24-120 without making it constant aperture. What a waste. The 24 & 28-70 f2.8s are no doubt good, but people (and I'm talking 'me' here) thinking of the D700 will want a bit more range than 70mm, with a constant aperture.

Pah, I'm gonna buy the D300.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.