I tried a d7000 this morning

Paul (aka pupator) loaned me his d7000 for a few minutes on the boat this morning.

1. af is superb, seems the same as the d300/d300s
Only a few af-points less ;)!
2. iso is noticeably better than the d300/d300s
yep..
3. auto wb is noticeably better than the d300/d300s
RAW is the answer + a whitebalance card if possible..

4. buffer filled and jammed the sb but i was using a cheap sd card
A class 4 or 6 will get that problem out of the way :) Unless you are shooting high-speed RAW...

5. the grip (not the add on grip) is too small and left my pinky finger dangling
I found the grip a bit narrow/pointy too.. but that just be my Dutch-fingers which cause that problem ;)

This is exactly what happens. NX2 reads Nikon camera setting data in (Im assuming) the EXIF fields. NX2 then applies (supposedly) the same algorithms to the RAW that would have been applied to the JPG in camera.

The difference is, of course, that doing it in NX2 on a RAW is non-destructive and can be turned off at a whim. You shouldnt need to even process these pics outside of NX2 to see this difference. Turning off all post-processing in NX2 should give you a 'raw' RAW versus Nikons take of the RAW based on camera settings.
+1

Only a few af-points less ;)!

True, but the 39 D7000 AF points actually cover more area than the 51 points in the D300/D700/D3 module!

Nikon indicates this by giving the AF module a higher number - CAM 4800 vs CAM 3500.

A class 4 or 6 will get that problem out of the way :) Unless you are shooting high-speed RAW...

Well, Randy shoots high speed raw :smile:

I do, too - and I find that nothing except the fastest cards will give me acceptable performance with the D7000!

Don't forget that the class ratings on SD cards indicate minimum write speed and doesn't say anything about the actual speed the card is capable of! Class 6 means minimum 6 MB/s, Class 10 means 10 MB/s. The D7000 produces so much data in a raw burst that you need significantly faster speeds!

A SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-1 card can get you 26 MB/s and will clear the full buffer in about 9 secs; a Transcend Class 10 card will take more than twice as long which is unacceptable to most folks.

More info on cards here:

http://sportsphotoguy.com/nikon-d7000-raw-burst-test/

Cheers

Mike

Latest threads

Top Bottom