I tried a d7000 this morning

Real Name
Randy
Paul (aka pupator) loaned me his d7000 for a few minutes on the boat this morning.

1. af is superb, seems the same as the d300/d300s
2. iso is noticeably better than the d300/d300s
3. auto wb is noticeably better than the d300/d300s
4. buffer filled and jammed the sb but i was using a cheap sd card
5. the grip (not the add on grip) is too small and left my pinky finger dangling

d7000, 500vr, iso1600, f/7.1, 1/4000 (i was pushing the iso on purpose)

1251860571_6Q5Cx-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Randy
Looks good! Do you think you're going to get one?

prob not because of the form factor
it doesn't feel right in my hand and i don't want a body that has to have an add on grip to feel good. It's just a hair too small leaving my pinky no place to grab.

The good news is they stopped running NR on shots over iso800. I could see the difference in the feather detail right away

here's another 1600 shot
look under his left wing at the cross wrinkeled feathers, this would have been smeared on my d300 at iso1000
also keep in mind i used this body for 10 mins with no time to chk settings so i expect it would have been even better

1251877978_DHefP-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

it doesn't feel right in my hand and i don't want a body that has to have an add on grip to feel good. It's just a hair too small leaving my pinky no place to grab.

The good news is they stopped running NR on shots over iso800. I could see the difference in the feather detail right away

here's another 1600 shot
look under his left wing at the cross wrinkeled feathers, this would have been smeared on my d300 at iso1000
also keep in mind i used this body for 10 mins with no time to chk settings so i expect it would have been even better

http://www.carolina-sportsphotography.com/photos/1251877978_DHefP-XL.jpg

I understand what you're saying. When I had the D7000 the performance was great, it was the body ergonomics that I didn't like either. I really prefer minimum a D300/D700 sized body especially if I'm going to use big lenses with it. I really hope the D400 gets announced soon. It seems the bodies made outside of Japan are being announced before the new FX bodies, so hopefully the D400 be next.

Interesting I actually prefer the smaller size, but then again I don't have or use big lenses either. Awesome pic.

keep in mind i used this body for 10 mins with no time to chk settings so i expect it would have been even better

Wow, for 10 minutes your results are great. And sharp too, but I guess the lens, along with your experience, plays a factor in that as well :biggrin:

Real Name
Randy
Interesting I actually prefer the smaller size, but then again I don't have or use big lenses either. Awesome pic.

thx

sometimes i do also, i like the d700 alot (vs the D3) and the d40 is kinda fun but when u hh something like the 500vr you gotta have all 5 fingers helping out:smile:

Real Name
Randy
Wow, for 10 minutes your results are great. And sharp too, but I guess the lens, along with your experience, plays a factor in that as well :biggrin:

thx Brendan
i'm a shoot-aholic is probably why:smile:

Randy are you saying that even on my D300s with auto NR disabled if i go out and shoot in RAW at ISO 1600 that my images are going to have NR applied to them automatically?

here's another 1600 shot

Randy,

glad you got to try the D7000! Nice shots for a 10-minute trial :smile:

I must have smaller hands than you because I'm pretty comfortable with the size of the D7000 grip...

Makes sense for you to wait for the D400 then!

Cheers

Mike

Real Name
Randy
Randy are you saying that even on my D300s with auto NR disabled if i go out and shoot in RAW at ISO 1600 that my images are going to have NR applied to them automatically?

i think so, not sure how we can prove it altho i recall someone here finding something in the user's guide that says it...

i think it was Hogan who 1st said that after iso800 there is ucontrollable NR running in the d300

i'm not even sure the d7000 sensor is any better (noise wise) than the d300 sensor, i think it's just that the d7000 is not smearing details via NR s/w....

now for most things we shoot, landscapes, naturescapes and even some people i don't think this is so obvious but birds have feathers and the smearing becomes very visible

Real Name
Randy
Randy,

glad you got to try the D7000! Nice shots for a 10-minute trial :smile:

I must have smaller hands than you because I'm pretty comfortable with the size of the D7000 grip...

Makes sense for you to wait for the D400 then!

Cheers

Mike

thx Mike
does your pinky finger have a place to hold on ?

Someday, I a looking forward to a body where my pinky doesn't dangle! :biggrin: I play with the D7000 at Costco all the time, but I am still going to gut it out and wait for the D300s replacement. Hard to do . . .

Real Name
Randy
Someday, I a looking forward to a body where my pinky doesn't dangle! :biggrin: I play with the D7000 at Costco all the time, but I am still going to gut it out and wait for the D300s replacement. Hard to do . . .

my pinky likes the d300/d700 and the ultimate pinky body:smile: is the D3, fits like a glove

Useful info and great shots. Thanks!

Confirms my intention to pick up the D7000 next week. I've been using a D90 and like the form factor, but wanted metering with manual lenses, faster AF (I dream of birding*) and 100% finder.

*it's partly a dream, since I doubt I'll be able to get that 500/4 VR anytime soon.

I just got my d7000 after giving canon a go again. This d7000 is an amazing camera. I got the 16-85, 70-300, 35 1.8 and 85mm micro so far. Im glad my divorce is over and i get come back to nikon.

Latest threads

Top Bottom