I tried a rimlight tonight...

Discussion in 'People' started by Gr8Tr1x, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

I took my SB800 off the D200 tonight and used it as a rimlight. Not too sure if I did it right or not. I like the results though and so does Ashley. This'll give me an excuse to buy a boom stand...maybe even a reflector stand.

Lit with two SB600's in an umbrella and a Sofliter II with the SB800 on a short stand behind her. 105mm VR.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited because I mistakenly referred to the light as a hairlight, when actually, its a rimlight.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2007
  2. Joshua, these are fantastic...especially that last one...superb...

I wouldn't really call this a hairlight...I would call it more of a rim light...When I think of a hairlight, I think of a light coming down from above to light the top of the hair...but that's JMHO.

I use a boom stand like this...

Then at the end of the boom, I use a setup like this with an SB800...it works fantastic...

3. Looks great. I think the second is my personal favorite... nice as usual. Ditto John's comment on the 'hair light'.

It would be a shame if you posted anything less than quality work like this with a model that lovely though... :smile:

4. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

You're right John...I couldn't think of the right term...thank! Thanks for the heads up on the equipment too.

5. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Thanks, Brian. Nice to have a live-in model, isn't it? Soon, you'll have two!

6. Nice Josh..I like em all..

7. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Excellent. Isn't this fun!

8. bob swanson

bob swanson Guest

:biggrin: They are all great. The boom would be usefull and can give you a possibility for hair/rim/back light. Would love to see your B&W images in color. bsvirginian

9. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Tx, Eric.

Indeed, now I have something to do on rainy days! Have to recruit the rest of the family now, too.

Thanks Bob. The boom is my next purchase...and possibly another Sb600.

10. Great Shots Josh!

With a beautiful wife likes yours, the dog wouldn't see much modeling action. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Tim

11. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Thanks, Tim. I have to rotate them... I may not get her to sit for another week or two, so I'll start working on the dog again. I'd like to get her cousin Rebecca over, but shes an ER nurse, and doesnt have a ton of time...as a matter of fact, the rest of her family is pretty photogenic too.

Time to have a portrait sitting/cook out at my house.

[​IMG]

12. Great photos of your wife, Joshua! Well done.

13. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Thanks, Sandi. I keep going back to my gallery and looking at them (I'm bored at work). I am trying to study them objectively so that I can improve. I am very pleased with my progress so far, and I have a lot of people to be thankful to here on the Cafe.

14. You're getting good Joshua! :biggrin:

Superb work again!

G

15. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Thanks, Graeme, that means alot to me.

16. Josh, Thats a great idea, bribe them with food!:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

BTW, Beautiful Family, you shouldn't have a had time finding a great model.

Tim