I used to think Nikon cost more than Canon

and in things are brand new I still do.

But, on the used side I have found the Nikon products are plentiful and cheaper. Does Nikon have more lenses? For example, I was looking at the 28-70 2.8 "Beast" and I think it is replaced with a newer version or something else. I don't know. I'm guessing the "gold ring" is equivalent to "L" glass of canon, but in any case, the quality glass of Nikon is cheaper than used Canon L glass. Am I wrong?

There is indeed a plentiful supply of used Nikon gear on the market especially 1990's vintage. This probably has a lot to do with the fact that Canon took over the pro market from Nikon in this era, so a lot of old pro level Nikon gear flooded the used market and there's still a lot of it floating around today. Fast forward nearly 30 years and Nikon has finally started to win some of the pro market back from Canon, but the pro Nikon shooters these days are still not picking up that old gear. They're going for the latest and greatest stuff to match their D3/D700 bodies. So all of that old stuff is still floating around, and will work perfectly fine.

The best example is the old professional 1990's vintage AF 80-200mm f/2.8 telephoto zoom lens. You can get the Nikon versions of these for as cheaply as $400-500, but the Canon 80-200/2.8 isn't any cheaper than $800-900 (KEH.com prices). There's so many of the old Nikon 80-200's around and few enough people looking to buy them that they just can't command any sort of a premium price. The Canon variants are a lot rarer and a lot of people still willing to buy them, hence still commanding a higher used market price. One of the best things about the Nikon system is indeed all of the great old used glass out there.

But that vintage stuff, like the 28-70 seems to be very good, as good as any L glass that I have seen. Vintage...man that makes it sound bad like it's antiquated.

I liked Nikon prices better before all the new Canon converts! Way cheaper! :tongue:
Yeah me too! I still like using the manual focus stuff on my "other" gear and bought a ton while it was cheap. Now the prices are like double with all the video people from different systems buying them up. Really wish they'd stop it! :mad: :tongue:

But that vintage stuff, like the 28-70 seems to be very good, as good as any L glass that I have seen. Vintage...man that makes it sound bad like it's antiquated.

Vintage? No. Old School, yes. Vintage to me is something like 1960-70-ish era lenses. The 28-70 is actually a modern design with AF-S and multicoating.

If you're not too picky about manual focusing, there's a lot of old but really good Ai/S glasses that you can buy, and save a lot of money.

PictureTaker said:
I'm guessing the "gold ring" is equivalent to "L" glass of canon

Nikon doesnt give some lenses a special designation, like Canon with their L lenses.

SP77 said:
One of the best things about the Nikon system is indeed all of the great old used glass out there.

But no advantage over Canon, as you already know. There is more old gear available for Canon cameras.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom