1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

I waited six years to make these two pictures

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Mike Buckley, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Six years ago when I was using only slide film, I captured some images of my wife overlooking a couple lakes from the Opabin Plateau in Canada's Yoho National Park. Unfortunately, I didn't execute them well enough to show them.

My wife and I rarely visit a place requiring significant travel more than once, but we knew upon our first visit that we would have to make this incredible place an exception. Finally, six years later we returned. One of the highlights of our trip was making the two images shown below. Immediately after capturing the necessary images, we slipped back a few feet and ate our picnic lunch. I don't ever remember such a beautiful spot for a picnic.

Mary Lake is the greenish lake on the left. Lake O'Hara is the bluish lake on the right.

115383322.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 387106

2. WOW stunning :eek:  2nd shot takes the cake

3. Stunning view indeed. Thanks for sharing.

God Bless,
    David

4. Absolutely great shots!!!
    They must be hanging on your wall by now ;) 

5. Gort

Gort

Mar 10, 2008
    Phoenix
    Really cool. Thanks for posting.

What's the name of the peak, off in the distance, if you know?

6. Fascinating Mike. The composition on #2 reflects your usual superb work.

7. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

Absolutely stunning! I love #2 with the mountains in the background... Definitely worth the trip back!!

8. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    Thanks for sharing Mike, the 2nd one is awesome.

9. Thanks, everyone!

Sorry, Steve, but none of our maps, which are sketchy, indicate the name of that peak in the distance. I think that's because it is not as high as other peaks in the area.

For those who are interested in the technical stuff, the first one is made with the Tokina 12-24 at 24mm and f/13. Post-processed in Capture NX2.

The second image is a composite of two images made with the Tokina 12-24 at 18mm and f/13. I processed both in Capture NX2 to get a good exposure of the bright mountains and the darker valley and lakes. I merged them into one image using Photoshop Elements.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2009
  10. lr0868

lr0868

May 25, 2008
    henderson, nv
    terrific shots Mike!

11. Oooo Mike Buckley. Lake O'Hara... My very favourite place in the world. I worked as a chambermaid up there when I was at University. I cannot begin to tell you how wonderful it was. I think that the beauty was wasted on the youth:redface: as I know several people still that I worked with and we marvel at our good fortune to have been in such a magnificent place for a whole summer. I know it was worth the wait for digital pics..
    Great job. Thanks for sharing your moments
    Barb

12. Thanks for saving me the the trouble of asking :) . Your images need no explanation to be enjoyed, but it's a treat to see how you solved a few rather complex problems. For one, I'm impressed at the amount of dof in the first frame, even at f/11. Do you remember where you placed primary focus? I'd guess it was on something between the lakes and you bride, and considering there's nothing between them but air, I guess you resorted to manual focus. That brings me to the second problem... convincing Joellen to risk life and limb and dangle her feet over a mile high precipice just so you could satisfy your artistic urges. You must have packed a gourmet picnic and bribed her with food. Note: I'm mildly acrophobic, so I'm uncomfortable just looking at that pose. :eek: 

The second frame shows the enormous value of a dramatic sky... and of bracketing focus points. The adroitly merged shots resulted in one of your most interesting compositions, worthy of an expensive frame.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2009
  13. bmell

bmell

Feb 11, 2009
    Nebraska
    Fantastic. Worth the years of waiting. Thanks for posting.

14. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    Love #2, it must been an exhilarating feeling for both of you and you captured the moment extremely well.

15. gabriel_felipe

gabriel_felipe

Apr 26, 2006
    Israel
    #2 its beautiful!! and great place for a picnic!!

16. Amazing shots, amazing view! That must have been a terrific trip, Mike.

17. Cool--waaaaay cool. Thanks for sharing and for revealing your workflow.

18. Thanks, everyone! I wish I had the time to keep up with all of your images. I'm working on a project that is keeping me hidden underneath a rock other than participating in the Capture NX forum.

That's your country, Sandi! I think the Canadian Rockies are better than the U. S. Rockies.

Barb, were you actually working at the lodge on the shore of Lake O'Hara or at one of the other lodges in the area?

Frank, I really don't remember the focus point. I used auto focus every time, first on my wife, then on the trees beneath her feet, and in the case of the second image, also on the opposite side of the lakes. I don't think my eyes are good enough to manually focus in that situation. I picked the one that I liked the best on the computer. I was actually planning on having to merge two captures just to get complete depth of field. (If I had been able to capture the right composition using my 35mm, I could have used the hyperfocal indicator on the lens.) It seemed good enough once I got home, so I only concerned myself with the exposure in the upper and lower parts of the second image.

By the way, it was impossible to get rid of all of the reflections of the sky in the lakes using a polarizer. So I didn't use it and got faster shutter speeds. I picked the saturated colors from the lake and used Capture NX to fill that color in them.

19. Gorgeous, gorgeous scenery and you captured this wonderfully!

20. Jaytron

Jaytron

Mar 22, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Great shots Mike. I really like the second one. I'm terrified of heights myself, so I don't think I could sit on the edge like that lol.

6 years for the shot hmm? A man of patience :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.