I want my D2XMODE1 picture control

I'm really wishing Nikon reconsidered support for D2XMODE1 in newer cameras like the D7000. See my (sort of) plea to Nikon, along with sample photos showing D2XMODE1 at work at:

Whilst not really sure what your problem is, I still have D2XMODEs 1, 2 and 3 available to me in NX2.

DG

P.S. I'm reading it now.

Whilst not really sure what your problem is, I still have D2XMODEs 1, 2 and 3 available to me in NX2.
As I noted in my linked post, while I do also swap PCs in ViewNX2, this suffers from two defficiencies:

• I can't see how the PC is affecting my histogram and adjust exposure in the field.
  • I have to spend extra (non-trivial for hundreds of exposures) PP time in ViewNX2 making the swap.
Then there's the fact that at some point (ViewNX 2.0, IIRC), Nikon decided to remove the ability to apply D2X mode picture controls to photos from older cameras, like my now departed D80 -- one of the reasons I let it go eventually.

Then there's the fact that at some point (ViewNX 2.0, IIRC), Nikon decided to remove the ability to apply D2X mode picture controls to photos from older cameras, like my now departed D80 -- one of the reasons I let it go eventually.
I'm using ver 2.2.4 and the picture controls for the three D2X modes are still there and working for me. Check again....change the setting in Camera Settings from non-picture control to picture controls. Then in the following box, open from standard or neutral or whereever you normally are, and you should see among other things the three D2X modes.

I'm using ver 2.2.4 and the picture controls for the three D2X modes are still there and working for me.
I don't see the D80 in your camera list... I guess it's only some older cameras (D70, D40, etc.?) that ViewNX no longer supports. I also have the latest version of ViewNX, and was just trying to edit some of my old D80 shots -- no D2X support, though 1.x versions did allow it.

They are not supported in the new color process introduced in NX2 recently.
Yeah, but even if you don't use that new color process (disabled in my installation), it's not supported for some older cameras (can only vouch for my D80 files).

Have you tried applying it using Lightroom - I know if doesn't fix the in the field problem but it's super quick to apply to everything, even apply it with an import preset.

I have all the D2x color profiles in lightroom that I can switch too at my desire in the raw conversion...

You are right that it is not possible to load the D2x modes onto a D70 or D200 NEF (Non Picture Control) in NX2 but I can load them for my D300 and D700 Files.

I don't want to start a fire but aren't the D2X profiles in Lightroom "approximations"?

DG

You are right that it is not possible to load the D2x modes onto a D70 or D200 NEF (Non Picture Control) in NX2 but I can load them for my D300 and D700 Files.

I don't want to start a fire but aren't the D2X profiles in Lightroom "approximations"?

DG
Yes, I love being able to directly loade them into my D300 and D700 cameras, but will miss not being able to do so in my soon-to arrive D7000, as I did in my now-departed D90.

Well, this is not turning out well: even in ViewNX2 I can't apply D2X mode controls. They are there for my D700 and D300, but not the D7000.

Hopefully there will be an update for NX2 that allows the use of the D2X profiles for the newer bodies. That would be a shame is they did away with those profiles.

Hopefully there will be an update for NX2 that allows the use of the D2X profiles for the newer bodies. That would be a shame is they did away with those profiles.
They did for older cameras (D80) when they switched over to NX2, but I was hoping newer cameras (since it worked for the D90) would allow D2X application in ViewNX2. As I posted in the other thread, this is a major detractor for me, and I will raise a stink about it wherever folks will hear me. D2XMODE1 is essential to my portrait and event photography work -- anything that features people and skin tones. Yes, I could come up with my own processing, etc., but why if the tone curve is already there?

The D2X has been orphaned, as if it never existed almost.
And what does this have to do with a color profile (not to be confused with a camera) that many of us have come to prefer for people portraiture work? Does good skin tone rendition become orphaned or obsolete when a camera follows that route? Did good skin tone rendition never exist almost?

IOW, non-sequitur alert, or as my dad likes to say, "What does the Gymnasium have to do with the Magnesium"?

You need to accept it - D2XMODE is dead! Nikon did not provide in-camera D2XMODE PCs for the D300s, only for NX2... Now with the D7000, they removed them from NX2 as well.

Adobe has followed suit and didn't provide D2XMODE profiles for the D7000 in Lightroom, either.

On the plus side, I find the Portrait, Neutral, and Landscape PCs for the D7000 quite usable now - way better than when they first came out...

Cheers

Mike

Latest posts

Top Bottom