I want to mirror my hard drive from one macbook pro to another?

There are several ways to do this depending on what you have for equipment.

1. Time Machine
2. Carbon Copy Cloner
3. SuperDuper

Are you looking to make an exact copy of your drive and put the copy into another MBP? FireWire target disk mode can be used. Are you putting one in an external case?

Mike

I have used Carbon Copy Cloner to upgrade my OEM drives to newer, larger drives a couple months ago, but I don't really recommend mirroring one to another unless they're exactly the same (hardware wise).

If all you want to do is copy the files, FW target mode or Migration Assistant

I want to do an exact mirror. Awhile back I put a 500gb hard drive into my old, but slightly dying laptop. That laptop is now on the dying end and I want to get that hard drive and swap it to my newer laptop.

Correct, but if they're not the same hardware configuration, you may run into issues. OSX is OSX, but it checks hardware when it installs itself. So if the configurations are the same, you may find certain things not working right.

The best install is always a clean install.

Also agreed. I learned that lesson way back in my Windows days. It is much better to simply put one's files into a new machine rather than trying to shoehorn all of the old stuff into a new machine. I remember back in the old days seeing various people complaining and wondering why their new computer didn't work right -- well it usually was because they had taken everything from an older version of Windows, including older software that was compatible with the older version of Windows but not necessarily the newer version, and installed it into their brand-new machine. Well, duh.... Yeah, more often that not something which was designed to work smoothly in WIN 3.1 wasn't necessarily going to work smoothly in the few-generations-later WIN XP. Old software in a new machine just doesn't cut the mustard and causes more problems than not.

In this case, yes, if you're moving from an older MBP to a newer one, regardless of the software, the machines themselves are going to be configured differently and that will cause problems.

I agree with everyone else here: just reinstall your apps and copy over only the actual files that you want to include in your new machine, rather than trying to mirror everything as chances are that "mirror" will be cracked and never work right.

I think you guys aren't getting what I'm saying. I have two laptops, 1) I want to mirror the hard drive from laptop 1 to laptop 2, 2) I want to swap the new 500 GB hard drive that's in laptop 2 back into laptop 1. Make sense? Laptop 1's hard drive is only 160GB.

Last edited by a moderator:
The question which has been raised and which has not been answered is, are both laptops the same exact configuration and the same exact generation, etc.? That is, are both, say, a unibody MBP from 2009? Yes? No? If one is a first-gen unibody from whenever those first came out (2008?) and one is a brand-new 2011 or 2010 unibody MBP, there are going to be differences in the underlying hardware configurations of the two machines. While you wouldn't think so, yes, installing a complete replicate of the hard drive/OS/configuration/files of one machine into the other could indeed cause problems for all the reasons mentioned in other posts here. Why take that chance?

Real Name
Mike
I think you guys aren't getting what I'm saying. I have two laptops, 1) I want to mirror the hard drive from laptop 1 to laptop 2, 2) I want to swap the new 500 GB hard drive that's in laptop 2 back into laptop 1. Make sense? Laptop 1's hard drive is only 160GB.
I replaced the drive in my MBP and used this clone process from OWC to duplicate the old drive onto the new drive. My system was stable, so I did not mind doing a complete transfer. Had there been problems, I would have used this transfer process to initialize the drive and move the data.

You can perform the upgrade by cloning first and then exchanging the drives, or exchanging the drives and then performing the cloning process. Either way, you will need an interface for the external drive. I would not recommend relying on a dying laptop to serve as the interface. Instead, I would use either a drive adapter, or an external enclosure. The advantage of the external enclosure is you can use the replaced drive for other uses.

I agree with Mike. Unless you've got a really old computer and are copying the drive to a brand new one I see no problem with cloning. As I mentioned I prefer superduper and have regularly done the clone process without problems. I like superduper because their license is for all my own Macs.

It's set to automatically copy my boot drive (sorry Mr. Jobs, I still like to use some PC terms like that and directories instead of folders) to each of my two spares every other week. I do the same for my data drive backups 'data 2' and 'data3.'

Rich

Jonathan,

Here is a potential solution to the problem based on your last post.

1. Make sure old computer has all of the latest OS updates before shutting down.
2. Set the new MBP to Target Disk Mode.
3. Connect computers using Firewire cable. Power up new MBP.
4. Start old computer.
4. Use SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to clone old disk drive to new MBP drive connected via firewire.
5. Disconnect FW cable and restart new MBP.
6. Perform system updates as there may be specific to new MBP model not needed for old computer.

Hope this helps.
Mike

i find that when a lot of information is given on exactly what you want to do and what model computer or computers you are working on it is far easier to help.

sorry for the awful sentence i have a lot on my mind today.

Jonathan,

It just struck me that you might be setting yourself up for a MAJOR problem. What OS is the older laptop running? I ask because if you are running 10.4.x, it will NOT work with a unibody MBP. The first unibpdies (late 2008) shipped with 10.5.5 installed. You CANNOT run an OS older than the one that shipped with the computer. For example, you can't use a retail 10.5.1 disk with the first unibody.

Also, keep in mind the Core Duo does not support 64 bit so you will need to upgrade to Snow Leopard to get the most out of the new computer.

Hope this helps,
Mike

I think I'm going to have to get an external hard drive dock, because new laptop is a unibody model and the other laptop is the original core duo.

If you are simply trying to copy a drive because you want to upgrade it to a larger drive, get a USB/sata jumper cable ($15-20) and do it that way. I upgraded my MBP from the 120gb to a 500gb a couple months back using this method. Did the same for my desktop too.

But if you want to duplicate either laptop to be used in the other so you can retain settings/locations of files/etc., you are going to run into issues, guaranteed.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom