I want to reformat my wifes laptop,but...

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by sypher, Jul 2, 2007.

1. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    it came with windows pre-installed. Do I have any options, or am I just out of luck?

2. What make? Some laptops have the Windows install image as a hidden partition on the hard drive and you don't need an installation CD.

3. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    Sean,
    it is a hp pavilion.

4. Do you have the quick restore disks? HP packs them with the laptops. Just pop it in the CD drive, follow intructions from cd and it should put it right bact to where it was when you bought it.

5. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    MJ,
    I will check and see if she has the restore disk.
    Thanks

6. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    Laptops use special drivers for their keyboard, W-Fi, graphics etc. If you don't have the recocery disks I think you should avoid refromatting the hadrdisk.

When I reformat my Panasonic laptop, it tooks me a couple of weeks to find all the drivers I need!

7. JohnK

JohnK

Aug 6, 2006
    Pacific NW
    The only special drivers that might be needed for a keyboard would be for extra buttons, like those that launch the media player or browser, all of the standard keys should work fine. On my HP, work NEC and an old IBM after installing XP I only needed to find wireless drivers, and drivers for the multi card reader. Everything else worked fine. Updated video drivers made things better, but that's not difficult to find or install.

sypher if you don't have the restore disk contact HP, you can buy a new set of recovery disks directly from them. Make sure you back up all of your wifes data before you run it because it will wipe out everything currently on the disk.